HSM failure to arm away due to open contact?

There isn't. You could not include the devices in question in HSM if this is a common occurrence.

then set a rule to notify you if that particular contact sensor is open when your house arms.

It's an older one that loses its mind half the time. I'll move it to a different window and not include it. I'll work on the notification. Thanks.

2 Likes

Yes use nyckelharpa app. Search the forum, it works perfect and has many other features

1 Like

This. [Release] Nyckelharpa, an HSM Extension

Would be great though if this could be added natively, as the Nyckelharpa work-around involves virtual contacts, and it would be much better if;

1. HSM notified you something was left open
  2. Still armed with that caveat.

Specially over summer this seams like a pretty common scenario to want to Arm your house even if you have a window open, as many of us has motion sensors to complement that risk.

3 Likes

Very interesting.
So what your rule does it force those specific devices to "closed" state.

And you believe via RM you could force HSM after a delay to re-arm? I love that idea.

Edit: The only thing I don't like about this solution is it leaves your "open" device in a false state.... but I guess that is better than not arming HSM.

Agreed, but Nyckelharpa has 1 main advantage for me, the dang keypads, which never worked right in HE. Finally after loading the centralitex driver, I have my keypads working perfectly. Beeping when I want them too and not having stuck motion events that kill the batteries in a week.
I tried to get HE staff to fix the included keypad driver, but they said too many firmware versions out there to get it perfect.

To each his own, I guess.

3 Likes

The resetToClosed() command seems to be available only with Xiaomi AQara hardware contact sensor devices. It's a good solution to the HSM arming conundrum when using these devices, but will not work with my Samsung and Sengled contacts.

Ah, dang it.

Yeah, I don't have a keypad (errr, I do but as a part of my Ring Alarm), so am looking for the easiest route forward to solve for this. Sounds like I might still go the Nyckelharpa route then.

The Centralitex keypad driver does not support the Ring Keypad. However, the app works without a keypad, and supports Centralite style keypads using Hubitat's system drivers, so who knows, perhaps it will work with Hubitat's Ring Keypad driver?

Should you try it, please post your results.

Something I tested was if you don’t use the alarming alerts in HSM then it will still arm. When the open device closes, then reopens it will still trigger for intrusion.

I then used RM to create a custom alert message so I was still aware of the open sensor.

Yes

Having come from SmartThings where if a sensor was open the alarm would still arm I was surprised to find out that HSM in Hubitat works differently and it refuses the lock.

My HSM arms based on presence sensors and they take a while to trigger. I could be 5 minutes down the road when I find out that my alarm didn't turn on because an internal door was left open. (I use the internal door sensors as well as internal sensors in case an external sensor fails and someone manages to get in using that particular door/window)

I've seen the community option but ideally this would be implemented in HSM itself

I don't imagine it would be too much work for the Hubitat team to make the change to HSM. If a sensor is open, just arm anyway and ignore that sensor for the current armed session.

The question now is how we we convince the developers to make the change?
Now t

2 Likes

Good news is that this looks to be fixed in today's firmware release?? (I haven't installed it yet)!!

1 Like

Yeah, you can select contact sensors that will be bypassed if open when arming. You can get a notification that they are open, but it will go ahead and arm. You can also select contact sensors that must be closed for it to arm -- which is the way it was before for all contact sensors.

4 Likes

Thanks very much. Very much appreciate that this feature was added.
Nice to see that the staff read the forum and implement feature requests :grinning:

1 Like

I'm sure I wasnt the only one that deleted HSM because it lacked this ability. I had no idea it was added and I try to read the fw release notes. Maybe I missed it but I think this should be a louder announcement imo.

1 Like

I’ve been making do with this updated feature to arm with window open, but it has been very quirky. It had never seemed to work properly and only notified me that the window was open without arming the alarm. It finally worked properly last night, arming the system with the window open and notifying me that it did. Well, that was until my wife decided to close the window in the middle of the night, setting off the alarm. Is it supposed to trigger when a window is closed as well as opened? Seems like it should just be when opening.

Please show a screenshot of the HSM main page, and logs from what it's doing.

AFAIK a contact closed does not trigger HSM and rely upon this behavior to armAway HSM with the garage door open, then close the garage door as I leave the house. When the garage door opens, the HSM away delay countdown triggers.

That said, I have one window contact sensor that is rather temperamental, sending a contact closed, a contact open, then another contact closed when the window closes. When the system is unarmed it's no problem, however when the system is armed, the contact open will trigger an alarm.

Check the offending device's event log for unexpected contact open events.