HPM and Bundles

First of all, I think it goes without saying (but I’ll say it anyway) that both @bptworld and @csteele have done incredible things for the community and are greatly appreciated for all the work they have done.

That being said, getting back to the OP:

Is there a current best practice for addressing this issue? I realize and appreciate that @csteele has been hard at work dealing with just keeping HPM alive for the benefit of all of us in the community and so has had his hands full doing just that, and not necessarily having the time to work out any consequences of @bptworld moving his work to his BM (which he has every right to do and did so with the best of intentions based on the historical timeline, IMHO as did @csteele).

Is there an easy way at this point to remove @bptworld’s apps from being “monitored” in HPM (if they were originally loaded onto HE with HPM)? I did see the option in HPM to remove packages, but I did not want to click on that button as I did not know if it would just remove the “monitoring” of those apps, or would actually remove all of those apps (thus causing a nightmare rebuilding everything associated with those @bptworld apps). Forgive me if I am naive regarding this (I sometimes do have the mind of a toddler when it comes to these things), just want to learn a solution at this time.

Thanks to the two of you for all you do :clap::+1:!

2 Likes

I think @csteele is working on an un-match process, but also Bryan will remove the apps completely from HPM once he's got them all bundled up as they say.

Short term, you might be able to uninstall HPM and re-install it, then only match up the apps that you want.

2 Likes

Good news. I have no problem being patient regarding this as it is not such a big deal for now (just that HPM always shows an update available for BM now in both the app page as well as in notifications). Anyway, I’m sure it will be sorted out based on how the two of them have always done great stuff.

This is pretty accurate as far as what I intend.. you'd un-match specific packages and those packages will appear in the next Match Up. You then choose which to match and which to ignore. You'd Match again because you know the Developer has done whatever was needed.. or you'd leave it un-matched and come back later when the Developer said Go... or whatever :smiley:

Just be certain you understand that HPM knows Manifests, nothing else. Garbage In -- Garbage Out. If the Manifest(s) is wrong, then HPM may react undesirably.

1 Like

I would start with asking the question of why you didn't just fork HPM and build upon it to add bundle support so the community isn't stuck with 2 competing package managers. Then telling us we do not have to use your competing manager while at the same time removing your apps from HPM seems disingenuous to me. The only reason to take them out of HPM would be to encourage the community to "switch" over to BM which I think is the wrong thing to do and hostile to all the work other devs have put in to it.

I know many will remind me that I have no say because I'm just a user and I'm not developing these apps for free like you are, but I just want to throw that out there to hopefully show some perspective on why some are a little upset over your actions. Take the criticism however you want and you have the right to be offended and I have the right to not care. That said, I am grateful for your contributions to this community.

2 Likes

In @bptworld’s defense, have you taken a look at the HPM code? I have, and while I considered creating a fork, I’m very happy that @csteele took up the challenge instead. While somewhat inconvenient, having a couple competing/complimentary standards may actually be good from the user perspective - think Microsoft and Apple. On the surface two different architectures both competing for the same customer base, but at the same time pushing each other to make their product better.

Who knows, someone may step in with a bridging app that allows searching both, or maybe something that brings in all of the uncatalogued code in addition (I may have as much in this category as I have catalogued). Regardless, let’s embrace the fact that both of these are acting to benefit the community.

10 Likes

Given the timelines we now know I understand why each was “released” as it has and currently is but for the community, if I had a vote, I’d ask that at this point for the two devs to come together and work together on a single app and make it the best package release / bundle release manager that does everything in one. I’m not a coder but completely understand the frustration at designing and making something only to be asked to scrap your work in favor of something else but wish devs would look at the bigger picture and that’s, “do what’s best for the community”. Just my $.02

5 Likes

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion but jeez. I have benefited from the help and unselfish efforts of those here for 2 years now and have never gotten into commenting on any of the disagreements between community members (meaning not disagreements about technical matters for which this community is a great forum for constructive discussion, but rather personal disagreements which seem to question or attack intent or motivation). . . but come on!

Like what was pointed out a number of times before:

As usual, @thebearmay comes thru once again for the community:

Without getting pedantic regarding my own opinion about this (just so no one takes my comments too seriously either) I quote my late father when I would voice a very rude opinion: “Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But opinions are like @$$holes. Everyone has one, but I don’t want to hear yours”.

Let’s keep everything cordial here and as even @xamindar stated:

JMHO.

4 Likes

I agree. I feel this is the kind of thing that really should be an integral (built-in) part of the HE platform and not some unofficial add-on.

Kudos and much respect to both bptworld and csteele who have provided us with great apps. But this particular type of function (App Manager/Installer/Updater) should be built-in and come from (and be suported by) Hubitat Inc. [sic].

Wouldn't it be great for the whole community if the three entities could collaborate and come up with a unified App Manager that would become an integral part of HE? :thinking: Crazy thought, I know. :wink: But a guy can dream..... :blush:

3 Likes

Yep and yes. :smiley:

But that's the end of the story for now. :smiley:

6 Likes

The wonderful thing about standards is there are so many to choose from :grin:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.