How would you use the Virtual smoke detector?

Yep! I think I will wait until my significant other is not around.

2 Likes

This is awesome. I have a multi family property that has 4 units all with interconnected smoke alarms and I wanted some way of getting notified if they go off. I have a Hubitat already there in one of the units. So I will be getting this relay and one of the ecolink door window sensors with the NO/NC which I have used for other situations and they work great.

Also I found a video of how someone else set this up with SmartThings. This guy even wired the ecolink to use AC power instead of having to rely on the batteries.

2 Likes

Oh man, the hardwiring for power in that little box is an awesome idea! I should have thought of that! I will be sure to do that at some point!

1 Like

It is a great idea, and it's probably easier than he made it seem in the video. The SM120X has a constant 9V DC output, so you could use it with a component like this to derive something in the 3.7V-4.2V range to replace the battery in the contact sensor: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PBF2TLG/?coliid=IOLGF7I9J5MHS&colid=26NW04N43NI13&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The CO120X doesn't seem to have the DC output, but presumably everything could be co-located.

1 Like

Since your idea is nearing almost $50, why not just purchase this for around $37 :

Ecolink Zwave Plus Wireless Audio Detector Wireless Audio Detector for existing Smoke/CO sensors, White (FF-ZWAVE5-ECO) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z8NM8N/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apap_MUYoLQ429phPo

I purchased one a few months back because of Leeo's demise and best invest ever. If your smoke alarms are interconnected it works great. Just place about 6 inches from one of your smoke alarms. It listens for the specific smoke alarm warning alert emitted and sends you a notification. Battery life is GREAT . Now if your smoke detectors are not interconnected then this would be an expensive route. I had read by turning on the CO2 detection alert also that battery life deteriorates so i never set it up for CO2 detection. Also they don't recommend using it on a smoke detector that talks. It beats relays and power problems in devising something. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I had been looking at a Roost Smart Battery I saw recommended on Wirecutter but this doesn't use a proprietary battery. Did it pair to Hubitat using the Ecolink Smoke/CO Audio Detector driver or something else? Does the driver you're using show battery status?

Hubitat already has a driver for it. Yep the Ecolink Smoke/CO Audio Detector driver. Pair it up and your ready to go. The battery status is reported and literature in the box states that battery life is 2-3 years. The battery is easily obtainable. Its a lithium CR123A. One thing, to pair it, inside is a super tiny button near the LED light that needs to be pressed. If i hadn't read an Amazon review, i would never found it. Also works great with HSM smoke/water rule to send a notification. I also have Device watchdog installed to check on all my batteries connected to Hubitat which lets me know if any drop below a certain point.

1 Like

Ah, I have the sage doorbell sensor and have a notification to my phone set up. Never thought of adding it to my lights rule. Oh the possibilities are endless.

Maybe I missed something in this thread but I don't see how to connect the virtual smoke detector with Wyze and IFTTT. I don't see the virtual smoke detector as an option to connect to in IFTTT so I just created a virtual switch then connected the Wyze trigger to that in IFTTT. I thought I could then just write a simple rule that would have the IFTTT controlled virtual switch turn on the virtual smoke detector. But I don't see in RM how to turn on the virtual smoke detector.

1 Like

Sorry don't have an answer to the use of virtual smoke detector BUT if you have Alexa, you can turn on Alexa Guard which listens for smoke and carbon monoxide alarms PLUS glass breakage for FREE and you'll get a txt message if any are triggered. I have a Hubitat rule that turns on Alexa Guard when HSM is set to Away mode. Unfortunately Amazon wont allow an automated rule to turn GUARD off, but i just made a Hubitat rule that states after Away mode was turn off and set to Day mode to send me a text in 5 min to remind me to turn off guard. Just a thought and works faster than relying on IFTTT.

I saw that approach as well. Thanks

Came across this 2 year old comment when perusing the threads and wanted to address how I have dealt with turning Alexa Guard off (which is allowed in an Alexa Routine).

I have a virtual contact with auto-off switch which is triggered in RM whenever my security system is disarmed from its armed away mode. This virtual contact is exposed to Alexa via the Amazon Echo Skill in HE. In the Alexa, this virtual contact is used as a trigger to trigger the following Alexa Routine: Alexa sends a notification to my devices and announces “The system has been disarmed and Alexa Guard has been turned off”. A Custom command line (must be the last line in an Alexa Routine) with the command “Alexa, turn Guard off” finishes the Routine. Custom commands act as though you are speaking a voice command to Alexa.

This Alexa routine automatically turns off Guard and keeps Guard in sync with my DSC home alarm system whenever the security system is disarmed. I have another Alexa routine that automatically turns Guard on whenever my system is armed in Away mode (I do not use HSM and prefer to have a UL approved dedicated security system that only uses HE for some automation, but does not rely on HE for critical functions like security, smoke, CO detection etc.).

I know this is an old thread but I thought this might be of interest and helpful to some as I believe Alexa added this Custom command feature since the time of @tony3286’s response. Just wanted to update some outdated information. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I presume that you could use Echo Speaks and the "Voice command as text" as well.

I know this is an older post, but hoping you can help. I've got a setup similar to what you posted for smoke detectors. I've tried to create the maker api post, but not getting anything from the virtual smoke detectors. Can you provide any insights into your exactly you got this to work?

When I run the actions, nothing is happening. I've checked the logs and see me running the actions, but nothing else.