How to use Orbit Hose Water Timer with the dashboard?

Just out of curiousity, does the door tile template work? Essentially all this is doing is sending the close() command to the device selected, both templates do the same thing.

What's unusual is the secondary parameter 1150. That shouldn't be there. Try turning on logging on the Orbit and see if it logs an error on the dashboard close event.

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting steps! Here is what my dashboard looks like with the valve and door tiles for the Orbit and a door tile for a contact sensor:

So I get an icon with the contact sensor, but not with the Orbit.

Then looking at the debug log for the Orbit (no errors being reported there), the same command is being sent to the Orbit from the valve tile and the door tile. Then finally the lightbulb moment: the tile is always sending a close, and the valve is already closed when I test. So I opened the valve on the device page, then clicking on the tile does close the valve. I thought it would do a toggle.

So the problem appears to be that the tile doesn't know if the valve is open or closed so always sends a close. I don't understand why the contact sensor appears to work differently than the valve in that it shows an icon with the status; when the door is closed the icon is gray, when the door is open the icon is green.

Interesting. can you send me via pm your devices json from the side menu, little "i" bottom right? I'm curious if it is not sending the initial state on dashboard load.

I don't know if it's just the generally crappy quality of the orbit hose timer, but I stopped getting reports from it, and it stopped responding to commands, about an hour after I set it up. Any suggestions?

Has there been any more development on this. I have gotten my orbit to pair and I can turn It off and on but I canā€™t figure out how to schedule stuff.

Thank you so just write the rules. Is the driver for this open Iā€™d like to see whatā€™s under the hood?

Yup just write the rules. I have no clue about the driver.

I'm looking for this timer. Has anyone got a link for it on Amazon?

Your best bet is probably eBay, since this is an Iris product:

1 Like

Is it normal for the device to show schedule on ?

1 Like

Looking for answer to this also. I have one that says off and one that says on

I have my orbit timers as "outlet" in the dashboard and no issue so far for months now.

I wondered about that also... @mike.maxwell ?

@chuck.schwer wrote this driver, I don't have any operational expierence with it.

Yes, it is supposed to report on/off/unknown for when the device has been scheduled, but it does not affect the actual running of the device at all.

That's strange. Since I've installed the unit it's always said scheduled under the devices, but there is no scheduled setup.

It is used as feedback for the schedule, so if the device is not in schedule mode, you can ignore it. The hose timer pretends to be a thermostat, so that particular value is "Temperature Set Point Hold", which doesn't make sense for a water timer, so it is displayed as "schedule" instead. It does not matter if it is on or off if you are not running a schedule. If you were to run it in scheduled mode and then put in a rain delay, it should flip to schedule off. If you are running in manual mode you can ignore it.

With the Arcus code available this driver is due for an update.

3 Likes

Chuck have you looked at the Arcus driver yet ?

I know that this is an old thread but having recently moved over to HE, I decided to pair my Orbit hose controllers today. I can tell you that they work and if you would like to set them up in a dash board using the Valve template works well and will toggle the hose controllers on and off. Shown here is with two of them off and one of them on.Capture