How to update firmware for zooz devices on C7?

Hi, I have tried to upgrade firmware on many zooz switches (zen 26, zen 27) in my house and that takes hours and hours to transfert the firmware and at the end, nothing happened. I have try with the Device Firmware Update App. I even tried to repair z-wave node and finally excluded all switches and include only one switche to see if it's better and it's not! The bandwith is ~40kbps

Any idea?

You can upgrade the firmware using a Z-Wave usb stick as a secondary controller and Silicon Labs free "Simplicity Studio".

UZB-7
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs/SLUSB001A?qs=u16ybLDytRbJsMfgk3EnSA%3D%3D

Z-Stick+

Zooz Stick

Note: A secondary controller is also useful for removing ghosts and pairing older Z-Wave plus devices with "no security" instead of being forced into "S0" security. UZB-7 is nice because it's cheap, the Z-Stick is nice because it has an internal battery and can be moved around to help with inclusion/exclusions, Zooz is a good price too but I think it's sold out at the moment. Their earlier model is great too.

1 Like

is there any other method in the C7 I can try? I don't want to buy a stick only for that!

I don't think there is unfortunately - the original firmware updater written by Bryan before joining HE would probably behave the same way.

The stick is good for a lot of other things. Nice to have in your toolbox for Ghost removal, "no security" pairing, enhanced mesh info etc. UZB-7 is the least expensive solution and works well. Again the Z-Stick+ is nice if you have a lot of devices and need to go around excluding and including remotely but it's almost 3 times as expensive.

1 Like

A question here. What do you mean by this?

At the end of a Zooz FW update, the previous zwave pairing is lost so they will disconnect from your network.

After a Zooz FW update, Zooz recommend resetting the switch -

Tap-tap-tap&hold upper paddle for 10 seconds until the blue light flashes.

Then you need to re-include to your hub.

Note: If you power the device off, and do a repair on the previously joined device in your zwave table and get it to come up as FAILED, then you can power the device back on and REPLACE the failed device with the same device. I hope that makes sense.

Otherwise doing a FW update on a Zooz device will create a ghost node.

1 Like

I was tying to update a device with the internal app and had the same problem with hours of transferring the file without success. For example, after 24 hours it was only at 81% transfer and hung up.

I followed the tip here of reseting both the hub and device just prior to updating. The same device took only about 20 minutes to update.

1 Like

Also instead of just rebooting the hub, you may need to do a shut down, then unplug and wait about 30 seconds then power it back up again. This only seems to be needed if the zwave radio gets really jammed up which I seem to be good at doing when testing things and sending lots of commands.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.