How to remove ghost devices?

I transitioned from Vera to C8 and moved many Zooz switches. In the process, I decided to update the firmware on those Zooz switches. However, after the update, the Zooz switches are left unpaired and require re-inclusion. It left behind a bunch of "ghost" devices that appear in Z-Wave Details / Z-Wave Radio Devices but not in my list of Devices.

If I click on Repair, the Remove button will eventually appear. However, clicking the Remove button does nothing. After reboot, the Remove button has disappeared and I'm back to to just having the Refresh and Repair options.

How do I get rid of these ghost devices? Thanks.

Lots of great information and options (not just the UZB stick option) in this thread

How To: Remove Z-Wave Ghosts using a UZB Stick - :bellhop_bell: Get Help - Hubitat

Thanks for the document link. Somebody obviously spent a lot of time on this and very generously shared their findings.

Unfortunately, I've just wasted many hours of my time following these directions and other threads while half of my house was powered off. With IsFailed, it turned red twice (out of a hundred attempts) and RemoveFailed never worked. I tried many more times in the Hubitat interface as well. The ghosts all "live" on.

I believe these are all from Zooz switches after a firmware update followed by a factory reset, so the ghosts are only distantly related to current device. I'm assuming the ghosts won't go away with excluding the active device? I see nothing related to them in the Z-wave logs. Is my only remaining option to reset the Z-wave network?

Are you using the correct node ID in PC Controller? It uses the decimal value not the hex.

Nodes are shown in zwave details like this:
DEC (0xHEX)

If PC Controller wont remove them usually that means the device is still connected to that node and responds to the ping.

Yes, using decimal value.

I don't think they could respond to a ping since the power was disconnected. Also, when using Repair from the GUI, the node is not found after pinging and Remove is offered - it just doesn't do anything.

That is normal from the Hub, sometimes to do with the updated SDK.
PC Controller is more brute force and typically if the device does not respond it is one click to remove it.

Have you fully powered down the hub and unplugged for 10 seconds, then reboot? After that do not click the Repair/Refresh buttons on the hub, just go straight to PC Controller and try to remove.

Not sure if it matters, but did you pair the USB Stick with or without security? I usually pair it will full security so I can do firmware updates on S2 devices but other people always pair with no security.

Also, what USB stick do you have?

No, that would only exclude/remove the current node ID.

Something that people have claimed in the past but I don't think is actually true (since the device should only know its current node ID -- and to be clear I'm only talking about times when the device has been successfully joined subsequently, or I suppose factory reset) but can't hurt regardless: if you know what real device corresponds to your "ghost," power it down while you attempt removal and see if it suceeds then. You could use the air gap if it has one or turn off the circuit breaker if it doesn't.

If you don't know what is what, I guess you could power down all of them or as many as you can and see what works. Again, this shouldn't be necessary, and I'd therefore also have a hard time seeing how it would solve your problem, but it's at least easy enough to try in most cases.

Another thing to look for when you try from Hubitat is any output from the hub (or "sys:1" as the source) in Logs.

"Have you fully powered down the hub and unplugged for 10 seconds, then reboot? After that do not click the Repair/Refresh buttons on the hub, just go straight to PC Controller and try to remove." Yes, I have tried that.

"Not sure if it matters, but did you pair the USB Stick with or without security? I usually pair it will full security so I can do firmware updates on S2 devices but other people always pair with no security.

Also, what USB stick do you have?" Without security. It's a Goodway Z-Dongle that I got from Smartest House that I previously used for updating Zooz firmware.

"if you know what real device corresponds to your "ghost," power it down while you attempt removal and see if it suceeds then. You could use the air gap if it has one or turn off the circuit breaker if it doesn't." Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure which ghost device corresponds to which active device. I've tried turning off the power to everything which didn't make any difference.

"Another thing to look for when you try from Hubitat is any output from the hub (or "sys:1" as the source) in Logs." From the logs showing a Repair followed by Remove (top two lines):

It's showing "no reply" which should be expected from a device with no power, so I don't understand why it doesn't remove it.

Yeah, nothing in Logs looks unusual to me (though there's no reason to do a repair; if you don't have a "Remove," do a refresh).

While it's less satisfying, the other thing that can help sometimes is time: if you're patient, come back in a day or two, and try again, it might just work. :man_shrugging: (But PC Controller normally works too, even if it's not supported, so that's even more mysterious...)