How to make a set of actions reusable?

Ah! I get it now...

An alternative is to use RM to control your buttons. You get the same look & feel of the Button Controller App with all the RM functionality when you pick “Button Device” when creating a new rule.

The Button controller app has almost all the same functionality. Tagging @bravenel in case this is something that could be added to the button controller app.

I don’t think they forgot.

There’s a history to button controller/rule machine existing as separate apps, then one app, now as separate apps again, etc.

The bottom line is, button controller is intended to have a somewhat leaner interface so that beginners are less likely to find it to be overwhelming to use (which rule machine certainly can be).

For anything you can’t do in button controller, you can still do in rule machine.

That’s not to say they never consider adding features to the simpler apps like button controller and basic rules though.

What I tend to do for this is create a virtual switch, then the rule is triggered when the switch turns on (or off).

Then you'd just set the button action to turn that switch on (works nicely with motion, contact sensors, dashboard buttons and voice activation as well)

1 Like

Button Controller does not integrate directly with Rule Machine, as explained above by @marktheknife. We are not going to add that feature to it for the reasons he states. The same UI lives inside of Rule also, using 'Button device' as the trigger. So this is how you get button controller functionality that does integrate with Rule Machine completely.

This is all a bit of a mess, I'll admit. The stand-alone version will remain as it is without RM integration, while the one within RM will have more advanced features.

3 Likes