How to find device Generic ZWave Repeater?

Hello,

I am migrating from Smart things.

I have spent the morning pairing zwave switches, a mixture of zooz and ge.

I noticed that there is this device:

But I have no idea which device it is.

I force removed it, and then rebooted the hub, and it came back.

I think that I have some Iris plugin outlets that have both a zigbee side and a zwave repeater, but I have not excluded them from smartthings and paired them with hubitat. yet.

That is quite likely one of those Iris v2 Zigbee outlets with a Z-Wave repeater if the "CentraLite" part is to be trusted, but I'm not sure why one would be showing up that you didn't add — aside from the fact that I seem to recall that the Zigbee and Z-Wave sides had different reset/pairing/inclusion procedures, so it's possible the outlet itself (Zigbee) is still on ST while the Z-Wave repeater isn't. No good way to locate it if it can't accept commands, though if you have some ideas, unplugging them one by one and seeing if a "Refresh" or two ever results it it becoming a failed node -- where you'll see "Replace" and "Remove" instead of "Repair" -- might work with some guessing.

This shouldn't happen if you removed it from the Z-Wave Details table, which shows the radio database. But if you removed it from your "Devices" list in the admin UI, it's possible (and certainly if you clicked "Discover," which would have been where the device name now is in Z-Wave Details). Force remove should be a last restort, and any time you do so, you'll want to check the Z-Wave Details table to also remove the "ghost" it will leave behind. Neither should be necessary if the device is functional, where a regular exclusion should work.

Which I guess is the other way you could figure this out: do a regular, node-specific exclusion ("Remove" from the device detail page) and see if the Z-Wave exclusion procedure works (i.e., finishes without a force remove) on any of them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, that is it.

Okay, I am mostly confident that it is the Iris plug in outlet.

The clothes washer that is using that outlet is on, so I cannot reset it.

I found a non-plugged in outlet in my extras pile, and when paired it shows generic repeater.

Maybe with a C-5? I don't think I've seen reports of nodes not showing in the Z-Wave Details table that show up elsewhere on C-7 or later, at least not with radio databases created on new-ish radio firmware (wouldn't be surprised if the corruption occasionally found on SiLab's old format caused some oddities....).

I need to delete that message above, was meant for another thread with a c5

Just to help you save some work: I have found the Z-wave repeater portion of these to not be very good. I have 10 of these plugs, most are 3210-L and a few 3210-L2. My humble suggestion is to just not include the Z-wave part, especially if you have other mains-powered Z-wave devices that act as repeaters.

If you choose to ignore that advice, you should at least consider using this driver for the Z-wave repeater: [RELEASE] Iris SmartPlug Z-Wave Repeater (3210-L + others)

1 Like

Agree - skip the Z-Wave side of the repeating on these.

fixed. (I meant to delete the close paren and ended up deleting the "2")

1 Like

Yes, to those who commented not to use the repeater. That is why I was initially concerned, there was a repeater that I did not add, and is it going to cause me problems?

With the C8 hub, almost all devices connect directly to the hub. That was NOT the case with smartthings.

Also, I do not know how they minaturized it, but the C8 hub is much much smaller than the smartthings hub. In this case, I am saying smaller and lighter is better.

3 Likes

As to size, since it's inception it's pretty much been the same size :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.