How to factory reset after buying a used Hubitat C7

I just bought a Hubitat C7 but I now cannot manage the hub.
The seller did not respond to my request to remove his account...

Open the diagnostic page: http://:8081
Enter the MAC adress of the hub as password (on the back of your hub)
select "soft reset"

2 Likes
2 Likes

The issue is that he also may not register it if the previous owner did not detach it from their account. In that case @bobbyD may need involved.

3 Likes

Thanks to all who replied. I did do a soft reset but of course that did not help.

You are right, I do need a factory reset...

It's quite likely that Hubitat support will not want to get involved with proving who owns the hub, though I can't speak for them. Contacting the previous owner is a good first step, otherwise you may need to pursue return or refund options through whatever platform you shopped through.

They can un-register their hub from my.hubitat.com (and should have done so before selling or be willing to do so after).

4 Likes

for me it's new to have a device which cannot be factory reset... I would be a very big disappointment if Hubitat would not help me out. I cannot get a refund!

I paid 100 euro's + shipping so that is a very expensive brick.

Had a client try to save a buck on buying a used Watchguard m200 firewall. The previous owner wouldn't release it from their account and the customer was stuck with a $3000.00 brick

1 Like

Very common in devices that require registration.

The issue is - how is Hubitat Support to know whether the person who sold it to you stole it or not?

I have sold two Hubitat hubs recently - one less than 2 weeks ago. It took less than a minute to un-register the hub from my account, so it can be registered by the new owner.

2 Likes

Good point you made! In my case though, the email address I found on the device is the same as the name from the seller so it is not stolen.
I will keep trying to contact the seller...

1 Like

I assume you have some documentation of the sale and email address? If you do, become a member of the owner's group, and then send screen captures of the documentation to Hubitat support in a PM - they may be able to help you.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! Yes I have all the mentioned info...

1 Like

You might find this post useful:

1 Like

SOLVED...!

Hurray... I finally got a reply from the previous owner and he de-registered the hub...

I selected Hubitat because it could function independent of a cloud service so it was a bad first 'user experience' so to say but hopefully that will change now :wink:

Many thanks to the kind people who took the time to reply to my post! That gives me reinsurance that my decision to leave Domoticz for Hubitat will be a good decision.

6 Likes