How To Determine If Wife Goes to Work?

Yup on both.

Well that all depends on who it is a problem for. If it's only a problem for her, then she can do whatever she wants. If it's a problem for me, well there has to be some compromise now doesn't there? And that goes both ways.

Yes but, does she need a hero? Men are always trying to fix problems for their spouse, I think it is in our nature, but half the time they don't even want them to... Sure, they will often be polite and say thanks. But often they are thinking that was a huge waste of time, and not a problem that needed solved by you.

It seems that after a few times of forgetting she'll either be okay with moving her stuff or she'll start plugging it in... Not really a problem to solve in my opinion.

But of course everyone is different, and you do you. You certainly don't have to defend why you are doing it to me! I'm just presenting another perspective.

2 Likes

If its a tesla you can install the app and do something like this. You could even check Its location etc.

1 Like

Ford

If all you’re after is a notification you can do this with the find my app within iOS.

I wouldn’t recommend using Life360 because they sell your location data to basically anyone who wants to pay for it.

Life360 sells its family location tracking data — now it owns Tile - The Verge.

I have an audio detector wired to a contact sensor. If the noise level is below 95 dB, a rule indicates "wife is out"

4 Likes

I recently realized my wife had started to go to work when she began buying her own fashion accessories.

Geofency and Locative are two iOS apps that can be configured with multiple geofences, so they can be setup for home, work, etc.

When the geofence is crossed, it can send an http post to a Hubitat maker api endpoint that sets a virtual presence sensor to arrived/departed.

1 Like

To add to this list, OwnTracks, which works on iOS and Android, works similarly.

1 Like

Ah, using the Maker "Allow Access via Remote/Cloud" option correct?

Yes you’ll need to allow that.

1 Like

Good to know, thanks.

I do have HomeBridge and really like this idea. Will test it out and let everyone know if it works.

I created a new virtual presence sensor and added it to HomeBridge but when I attempted to configure detection of my wife arriving at work iOS prompted, "People Will Be Removed from Automation - Choosing a location other than (home) will remove the other people from this automation."

Then it dawned on me, instead of determining when she goes to work, determine when she doesn't, which since she works a normal M-F in the office is simple to do:

If day is M-F and wife is home at x o'clock, she didn't go to work.

2 Likes

Put a magnet on a necklace for her. Valentines is next week, make it look nice... :smiley:

Put a door sensor on a necklace for yourself.

On M-F before 10am, if the door sensor fires, because you kissed your wife Goodbye, she's going to work. On M-F after 3:30pm, if the door sensor fires, because you kissed your wife Hello, she's not at work.

:smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

I have some old smartthings presence sensors that I converted to using double A batteries. Keep them in our cars.

2 Likes

If you have a dog, and said dog belongs to the wife, then:

• Attach vibration sensor to dog's tail (be kind, don't use permanent mounting please)
  • Create Rule Machine rule to sense dog_tail_vibration every xx minutes to turn on/off virtual switch

Same. These things run through coin cell batteries really quickly. But two AA batteries last at least one year on them. Maybe even longer than a year.

1 Like

Does her employer have charging stations? If so, have her charge it there, on their dime while she's working. But seriously, wouldn't there be some way to where she could plug it in, but the charging wouldn't start until rates come down? Some kind of rule?
Gotta say I'm glad I'm not on one of those kind of rate plans. Saw alot of people get stung during Texas' Snowmageddon last year with those wholesale spot rate plans. One guy wound up with an $18k power bill for days 3.

arent their apps that you can send a message when you enter (or leave) a geofence?