How to control Hubitat by voice? (In the year 2022)

Unfortunately German is the only supported language.

Was ist also das problem?

2 Likes

Do you mean,
(a) that you need German knowledge to use that skill, or
(b) that the skill can be installed only on German language Alexa? :thinking:

Looked at skill and only supported language is German :cry:

The usage is so simple - even Google can translate it: :wink:

But if you have a concret question, just ask me!

P.S.: @Hubitat_Staff, @bobbyD
Maybe it's possible to create a general "Hubitat Maker API" :wink: skill for Alexa to be completly independent from a third party?

If it was legal, everyone would do it,. You cannot declare independence from Amazon when using Alexa. While custom skill is still neat today, you would have to reinvent the wheel in order to match what Amazon has already developed with their smart home skill. A few years ago, was fun, a group of us did it.

4 Likes

I'm not talking about something like that! :wink:

I was talking about replacing the above shown external Webhook skill with something optimized for Hubitat's Maker API, so getting from 3 parties (Alexa -> external Webhook page -> Hubitat) to only 2 (Alexa -> Hubitat).

BTW: Everyone (who knows node.js) can introduce legally new skills to the Alexa system.

Bobby and I wrote a little program a while ago back on ST called Echosistant. The native alexa has since done just about everything we had programmed into the app. But there are some things Alexa still can not do and that's where the app still shines. lol.
Will you give me an example of use? The app handles complexities that aren't in the native alexa. So, a complex use example would work please.

2 Likes

I simple would like to say "Alexa [Codeword] do this and that".
The text "do this and that" should be transfered (1) to Hubitat (e.g. by using Maker API).
Bonus: It would be nice to also get the name of the Alexa device.

(1) At the moment I transfer the information with the Help of an external Alexa skill, that webhooks the text to a php script on my web server, which calls a Hubitat Maker API URL of a device I've written (which has only a cmd parameter), e.g.:
cloud.hubitat .com/api/7a...60/apps/102/devices/262/cmd/[Text]?access_token=61...f1

Have you looked at Node Red and the node-red-contrib-alexa-remote2-applestrudel pallet? It can do a lot of things based on what you say to Alexa and can even know which Alexa you are speaking to. For example, in any of my rooms that I have a ceiling fan and an Alexa, I can say "It's hot in here" and it will turn on the fan in the room I am in without telling her which room.

In your example, it could listen for the Codeword you referenced and only continue the Node Red Flow if you say the code. If you know regex, you could probably get pretty complex. I don't.

If you keep reading in that thread, @Royski does some cool things w/ this method.

EDIT: As an example to solve this:

You could create a Node Red flow that listens for you to say "Alexa, [Codeword] give me security update". The flow would then go thru each device you specify and to see if it is open/closed/active/inactive and Alexa could respond with something like the following: "The following motion sensors are active. Front Door -> Back Door -> Garage Door......."

4 Likes

I'm pretty sure that my app will do what you are asking. Send me a pm and let's talk.

2 Likes

From 2023 on such things will also not work anymore:

Done.

1000 thanx in advance!

I'm not using anything Google to do what I am describing; just Alexa & Node Red. That change won't affect my setup.

2 Likes

Sorry, my fault!

May I ask again for more information?