How to control dumb lights... smartly? :)

I'm brand-spanking new to this world. Haven't even received my HE yet. Just scheming and planning and staying up too late going through these forums and reading articles....

I've got a studio space I'm renovating. Got an electrician coming shortly to run 12 cloth wires from the ceiling for a weird lighting sculpture I'm designing. 6 of the lights will be yeelight color leds (already have them). But I want the other 6 to be weird, funky led lights (won't let me post links, but just search grand-nostalgic-natural-collection-glacier-shape-4w-led-oversized-light-bulb and you'll see)

Now if they had smart versions of these, fine. But they don't.

So how the hell do I integrate them into the ecosystem?

The only thing I can think of is some sort of smart bulb adapter... but what I looked for out there wasn't overwhelmingly inspiring or well rated. Not to mention being able to work with HE.

Is that the only solution?

If so, any recommendations that won't break the bank (more than necessary)?

Thanks!

Have a look here at the list of Hubitat compatible devices. Search for dimmer. Lots of options.

And post a photo of your creation :wink:

Make your lighting creation have several light circuits and individually control each circuit. Dimming or just on/off

grand-nostalgic-natural-collection-glacier-shape-4w-led-oversized-light-bulb

Ooo, funky. Do post a picture when it's done.

120v, Edison base: We are waiting for these to be available. Might work.

1 Like

Thanks all.

Problem is I've made it complicated enough (and want enough control) where the goal is to control and dim separately. part of the thrill I'm having imagining getting into this type of granular automation (and why HE over the other platforms).

So I don't think a separate dimmer will cut it. I mean, if that's all I can do, then that's all I can do. But I would LOVE to be able to control each light individually.

I think that means it has to be a socket controller, no?

Are there recommendations for that? I did start to comb through the supported devices list and that other wiki list of devices that have drivers (but aren't officially supported). Maybe I missed it, but wasn't seeing the solution.

Thanks!

The Zigbee dimmer from @rcjordan's post would work. Also, some of the Zwave nano/micro dimmers would work. These devices would be connected to the wires going to the bulbs. They are intended to be installed in the electrical box. If you want to control them individually, you would get one for each. I do believe there are double versions of these which would cut down on the number of dimmers needed.

Nue Smart ZigBee Light Dimmer Switch will work, providing on/off as well as dimming functions for lights. However, you would need one for each branch of the circuit design you are proposing. I have two of these operating and they work well using the Generic Zigbee Dimmer driver.

pardon the ignorance, but just want to make sure I 100% understand.

• That device would go in the ceiling electrical box?
  • And I would need one of those per bulb? (might get cramped in there, no?)
  • I could operate them without a dimmer for each, correct? Would love to have on dimmer for basic on/off/scenes, but definitely wouldn't want a dimmer for each of the 6 lights.

Never asked - what does that mean? Is that referencing a specific product?

Thanks y'all. Really appreciate it

@thedusen The dimmer switches as referenced here would go in the electrical box. This is the type I am referencing. ​
These Zwave devices are smaller than some of the other devices referenced here but you would need to plan for them before you have the electrician do any work. The larger devices may not have UL listings, and if you are in the US, your electrician my not want to install them. You would need to create rules to raise, lower, flash etc. You could use a scene controller to manually trigger those rules.

Yes, ideally you would want a dimmer on each line. The best way to do this would be to plan it out before the installation. If it is just a simple quad box you are going to have trouble making that work. Potentially you could make the box part of the piece but again that would take some thought before install.