How to connect WiFi devices

Thanks for this replay. However in each post there is also information about the drivers.
Is it really not possible to simply port somehow the wifi devices as my light switch so Hubitat can see it?

It is not possible. Assuming your WiFi device has an app. Can you control your WiFi device with the Facebook app? Even though they are both apps and both connect over WiFi, the reason you can't is the Facebook app has no idea of how to talk to your WiFi device. A stupid example perhaps but what and how devices communicate is important. Without some way to translate between how the WiFi switch communicates back and forth with the HE hub, you are out of luck. Since the site lists Tuya and Smartlife I would read up on some of the posts here in the Hubitat communities.

2 Likes

Should I not be using Facebook to control my home automation? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Very scary idea.

2 Likes

Should not be using Facebook for anything. :wink:

15 Likes

As that device use the Tuya cloud you should be able to flash it with another firmware like Tastmota and then use the community drivers.
There has even been a fork of the firmware made to work with Hubitat.

What if I change my mind? Can I flash them back to original factory settings?
If so, how?

If you use Tasmotizer, you can according to documention:

See 1st bullet point under Features. I don't know how though.

I prefer and use this to flash OTA:

Requires Linux and a WiFI adapter, but you can make a bootable USB stick that allows you to run Linux on your Windows machine without altering your Windows installation. You boot into the OS from the USB stick. CD/DVD is another option for booting an alternate OS, but it's slower than a USB stick.

With some of the OTA methods a Raspberry Pi is required, this one does not require a Rasperry Pi, just a booted Linux OS.

In my case I used an old laptop (2011-ish) running Antix Linux, a lightweight Debian distro, that has only 2GB of RAM (and some of the limited RAM is used by the display adapter, making the RAM amount available to the OS only 1.8GB! Worked great for flashing also for light web browsing.

I also installed the Opera web browser on this machine and I'm able to open 5-6 tabs without performance degradation...but anyway now I'm getting off topic :wink:

1 Like

You usually need an App or Integration, HE never finds ANY LAN devices, I have about 30 but it can find none. It has the worse LAN integration ever. You need to make you own application were you can assign and IP address and for HE to connect to it. Their LAN discover is a 100% disaster!! HE has no WiFi but it dies have Ethernet. Since its LAN discovery is such a colossal failure you are best looking for a ST driver. I have gotten EVERY LAN device I have gotten to work his way. Many devices not on the supported list work once you find a way to connect. Yamaha AVR, MyQ, WeMo, Roku, NVidia Shield and some Samsung TVs (2016 and newer) all work but no thanks to HE but due the the strong community support. I have all those working despite HE complete failure with LAN. The only thing I have gotten working via HE software is my Lutron items and even those required their app to work. LAN discovery would not have any chance of finding the Bridge.

1 Like

I have lots of LAN devices. See the other posting for a partial list. Only 1 required the could, my Ecobee3 thermostat. The other 8 or 10 or whatever do NOT.

IFTTT is one of the integrations.

Yep, my GE z-wave works fine with the generic driver. There is now a user made of that adds a little capability which I put into my hub but I think I am still using the generic one.

If it works with Google and Amazon then if you have one of those then the Hubitat can work with it through them but not by itself.

WHY??? it defeats the whole purpose of having a safe local Hub system. I personally hope the change the Ecobee integration to be local too. I hate the could.

@jeff.lilliquist you’re responding to a discussion that occurred (and died out) over a year ago.

5 Likes

maybe it died because nothing changed... after even year(s)
I also have device (wifi) that are on my google home but hubitat can't find them...
To bad the toppic died... seems like 'they' don't care

Maybe it is more like they aren't going to go around chasing wifi devices that have no published APIs or connectivity specs?

The bad part of most wifi devices is that each vendor implements it differently. There is no standard. And most don't publish any external apoi or connectivity specs.

Why? Because they want to lock you into their service/app/ecosystem.

Same reason google and amazon don't make it easy for external hubs/controllers to control Google Home/Alexa devices... Both services are all geared around them controlling the external devices, not the other way around.

Why? Because they want to lock you into their service/app/ecosystem.

If you think creating an integration for a device with unpublished connectivity specs is easy and a good use of time, feel free to implement as many wifi devices as you want to the hub.

Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but come on... You want to be annoyed? Be annoyed at all the manufacturers that wrote proprietary wifi implementations - which is almost all of them.

Maybe someday when matter/chip is done this will get better. Or maybe not? Who knows at this point.

10 Likes

“They” includes many Hubitat users who understand the limitations of locked-down WiFi devices that @JasonJoel described in detail, and agree it’s hardly the best use of Hubitat developer resources to prioritize this.

3 Likes

BTW this is why resurrecting zombie threads is rarely a good idea.

There’s not much new to discuss here.

3 Likes