How to configure a static IP

My Canadian Bell router attributes a new ip to the Hubitat almost daily. On the Home Hub 3000 there are very few configurable options. No option to reserve an IP for a Mac.

Using the Hubitat portal to find the device sometimes works, sometimes not. This is an issue I don’t have with my Philips Hue, Samsung Connect Pro with SmartThings, Lutron Casetta Pro, Sonoff buzzer, Apple TV etc. With every other device - from manufacturers that hate giving users any control or choice - yet they all have one thing they do permit - configuring the devices IP manually.

Of course some might say Philips, Lutron, Apple, Samsung don’t know what they are doing by allowing the paying client to have the option of choosing the IP address on the network. Others might say - DHCP Automatic IP is by default, if they want static they probably have a reason - not a problem, worse case the reset button is there.

Then there is Hubitat.

For the life of me, I can’t imagine Apple, Lutron, Samsung and Philips being more flexible than Hubitat.

Obviously it would be absurd to expect one to dump the Bell standard fibre modem however limited it is and buy another to accommodate just Hubitat. Hubitat is on top of its game so it can’t be a Hubitat issue.

Logically, I can only conclude I have missed the network section on the hub where I can configure a static IP. I just cannot find it.

Could a kind soul please send me the local link URL where I can configure a static IP please ?

You Can't. Search for the reason why and for a work around

1 Like

Not really, if it can't even do DHCP reservation the router is pretty crap. Which means you shouldn't be using fixed IP anyway as it's likely you are also unable to adjust the DHCP range to ensure the two won't conflict. BTW I use my Raspberry pie as my DHCP server, much better.

5 Likes

Doing some quick googling ([Internet] Bell Home Hub 3000 DHCP Reservation - Bell Canada | DSLReports Forums), it might be under

My Devices | Ethernet | Settings

3 Likes

I have the same hub. Here is what it looks like when you go through those steps:

7 Likes

Can't do a DHCP reservation on a router supplied by Bell? LOL. A simple internet search will show you how to do this.

No, it would not be absurd at all. Any router that could not do a simple DHCP reservation should be discarded. But don't worry, any telecom in Canada (big or small) will have this feature in a router they provide.

Sebastien, chapeau off to you, your a better more patient man than I. People don’t realize how slow the Home Hub 3000 is to navigate and find those pages. Merci à vous.

Yes I suppose it made more sense to google DHCP reservation in Home Hub 3000 rather than look at the Home Hub 3000 menues which do an excellent job of hiding functionality.

I did do a search on why Hubitat - unlike every other platform out there - justifies removing the static IP configuration interface that logically existed in the build, I found zeolots repeating and amplifying each other, c’mon yelling with insistance doesn’t make something true. Eg US Stolen élections.

Why these same zeolots presume Hubitat users are dumber than - Apple, Samsung, Lutron and Sonoff users who all get to configure their IP’s - is well, rather self depreciating.

The fact of the matter is - excuses are aplenty yet realistically no actual valid reason could be found as to why Hubitat users are denied the option of setting a static IP like every other platform out there. It’s not true that Hubitat users are stupider, I hope! Duh.

Sebastien thank you again. The others, please consider stoping to repeat the propaganda. Take a breath and a tand on your desk - look at the world from a different perspective. :wink:

1 Like

I think not having a static ip setting in the device cuts down on support issues. If you accidenitally put in the wrong subnet for instance you will never see the device on your net and you will be contacting support.

I know i have done it on occasion and had to hard reset the device to get it working.

3 Likes

Not true. You cannot set a static ip from a Smartthings V1/2/3 hub either (the Connect Pro is different - it is first and foremost a wifi router with smartthings functionality added on).

I don't know why it's not included, but it's certainly much easier to manage all your device IPs from one location (your router) than have to do it on each individual device.

6 Likes

As indicated by @kahn-hubitat, there are really good reasons not to include static IP configuration in a consumer device like the HE. Stating those reasons doesn't make anyone a zealot.

4 Likes

Actually I think @bertabcd1234 probably hit it on the head here Static IP on new HE

2 Likes

Or getting the ip correct but screwing up the gateway.. been there, done that. Just now as a matter fact.. :rage:

My uncle has an ISP supplied "Dasan Zhone" ont that does not allow reserved DHCPs - at least not with his model/firmware. This actually may be more common than you might think especially for small/regional ISPs or as the larger ISPs become more "user friendly" and make the routing decisions for you.

For the most part the normal DHCP reservation will likely stick and that's what I will have to go with.. but I would love to be able to make it more reliable.

hubitat / hubitat.local does not resolve on this subnet.. is it an mdns thing?

The just now released SW Update (2.2.5.119) allows one to set a static IP for each Hubitat Hub!
Timing could not have been better as I was setting up my second hub with google wifi and it would not allow me to configure more than one DHCP reservation when the name of the device was hubitat. goofy things would happen like assigning the reservation to a different MAC that belonged to another device on my network.
So far the Static IPs are working GREAT Thanks Hubitat!

1 Like

That’s odd... I have 3 on Google Wifi, all with DHCP without any issues.

2 Likes

Same. DHCP reservations are by MAC address. A name shouldn’t matter.

3 Likes