How to automate my WiFi Hunter fan?

So I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan and it’s WiFi capable. As soon as it hit the WiFi via Hunters app Alexa jumped on it.

So it’s now online and controllable by Alexa, the Hunter app and a remote control. Cool but…

I was hoping to keep my automation confined to Hubitat as much as possible. I have the Alexa integration installed but how do I get Hubitat rules to automate the fan. Hubitat doesnt “see” the fan.

I just want to do something simple like turn the fan on if the room gets above 75. I have a temp sensor in that room and Hubitat gets temp notifications.

So does Hubitat have to tell Alexa to turn the fan on somehow when my temp threshold is exceeded? How? Or is there another way to do this?

Thanks.

@stratmeister509 Create a virtual switch as a contact sensor (driver available in HPM) Use temp as trigger for switch, have alexa monitor contact for skill to set off fan (do 3 virtual switch contacts for speed differences)

4 Likes

I think there are a couple of ways to approach this.

(1) you could create a virtual contact sensor on HE and expose this to Alexa, where you could create a series of routines that would turn on and off your ceiling fan with changes in the status of the contact sensor. You could manipulate that contact sensor with rules.

(2) you could hope Hunter exposes a cloud API and see if someone has written an integration to HE.

(3) you might be able to use IFTTT if Hunter supports it. I did a quick look and I don't think it does.

(4) if the fan also has a wireless remote you can probably use a Bond bridge.

3 Likes

Another option is to use Echo Speaks. You could setup a virtual fan in HE and add it to Alexa. Then when you send a command to the virtual fan, you have a rule via RM, Webcore, etc and send the Alexa command Via Echo speaks.

4 Likes

Good one! I forgot about this option.

1 Like

Bond is a good option, though expensive for one fan at around $100 for the Bond bridge. If he has or is going to get more fans, that's what I'd do (and did), Bond works well for me w/multiple fans, including Hunter fans.

3 Likes

I picked up a zigbee fan controller from home depot and retrofitted it in a porch fan. Works well. Have another one to go in...Cost? 38 bux per unit.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good option here!

1 Like

I use the Bond option myself, and it is a good option. As you say it's a bit much for one fan though. I did it because the fan my wife bought only had the remotes and you couldn't control the fans from the smart switches other than to turn it on or off. Luckily it turned out I could use bond with my shades as well. I had been using the Echo Speaks method prior using the smart home controller for my shades. That controller stopped functioning and being able to use the bond hub was a handy solution.

2 Likes

Or you can get the pro bridge, which supports PoE and has greater range. I use the pro bridge for two fans and two fireplaces.

The biggest disadvantage to the Bond bridge is it's one-way. You can send the "on" command to the fan but you don't know that it actually turns on (other than by looking, of course). My fan light is a toggle on/off, which is difficult to control via scenes etc for that reason.

1 Like

See this.... I ordered it after I read this and it's still available. Has an unobtrusive external antenna and uses the hampton bay zigbee fan controller.

1 Like

I was looking at HPM and wasn’t sure which driver you were referring to. What’s the name?

Cut and paste this to a new driver under driver code.. Create a virtual switch then switch to this driver.

metadata {
definition (name: "Virtual contact with Switch", namespace: "cwilson08", author: "cwwilson08") {
capability "Sensor"
capability "Contact Sensor"
capability "Switch"
}
}

def on() {
sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed")
sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "on")
}

def off() {
sendEvent(name: "contact", value: "open")
sendEvent(name: "switch", value: "off")
}

def installed() {
}

1 Like

Delayed but… did this and it works like a charm. Thanks for this @rlithgow1

1 Like

What’s the rationale for going with a virtual contact sensor as opposed to a virtual switch?

Alexa automations can use the change in state of a sensor (or a lock) as trigger, but not a switch.

So your virtual device could be a contact/motion/leak sensor or a lock.

1 Like