How reliable is Sonos integration?

That's a bit confusing.

What is?

I did some digging in the new integration. Basically, they are doing now what HE has been doing all along; LAN based API access. The new DTH basically uses websockets instead of UPnP calls. It also seems to break compatibility with webCoRE as well and they removed the Music Player capability.

1 Like

But its is an official SONOS WWS integration apparently so that brings hope that the new API isn't cloud based only right? So if they do shut down the old way its not end of world.

According to Sonos, all API calls will eventually be cloud based. There's been some rumors floating around the Sonos forums that in the next year or so, there will be an update that kills off UPnP and websockets. I've done a lot of reading through the Sonos dev docs and they've removed pretty much all the local access documentation. I'm sure that there will still be local-only hacks and workarounds in the near future, but I wouldn't count on them being there for more than a year or two.

I think the ST/Sonos integration is a temporary step while they get ready to release the actual cloud DTH.

Sure a lot of people wont be happy with that they have just changed the integration to local and made a big thing about being local. To turn it back will come with a backlash. Whats wrong with them keeping it local? Surly its cheaper for them to have it as everything doesn't have to go though their servers.

LOL... When has ST ever done anything smart? I mean, look at the Classic versus new app ongoing debacle. Honestly, ST needs wins right now and trumpeting something like "Look! We now have improved Sonos local execution" gets them a temporary win.

That's not Sonos's grand plan though. They have been saying (read "threatening") the cloud API for over a year now. They send their ambassadors into the forums to preach about how much better cloud based API calls are and can be and expect everyone to be happy with that. Meanwhile, people like us that want and prefer local based processing get screwed in the process. Just look at the debacle that Sonos created by requiring an account just to use speakers you paid for.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE my Sonos speakers, but their decisions as a company are just pure money grabs and data mining schemes lately.

3 Likes

In a revival of a 2-year old topic, I have decided to replace two Google Home Minis ("GHM") that I have been using for announcement speakers with Sonos speakers for the similar reasons that @shawnx1 put forward. Specifically, I face at least: (1) I have to make an announcement if I just want to change the volume (can be a blank string that doesn't say anything, but I still get the GHM announcement sound); (2) sometimes the TTS stutters (e.g., "Garage Do... Garage Door Opening"); (3) The upstairs announcement and downstairs announcements are delayed slightly making the one announcement sound like it has an echo.

So, I have two questions for the wisdom of the Hubitat crowd. First, are Sonos speakers still local and/or solid such that I will avoid the GHM issues? That is, can I change the volume without an announcement, do they reliably play the TTS mp3 without dropping the beginning or stuttering, and can I pair the speakers so they play at the same time (as I believe I can)? Second, any thoughts on whether I should buy a pair of Sonos: One–SLs from Sam's Club ($369.00) or two SYMFONISKWiFi bookshelf speakers ($198.00) from IKEA? (Links below.) These will be announcement speakers only so I do not want a microphone (the current GHMs have their mic disabled). I believe both the SLs and Symfonisk do not have a microphone. I also think each can be paired with another speaker. I do want the speakers on my ethernet LAN. I know at least one speaker can be hard-wired, and I believe both types of speaker have an RJ45 port. Hopefully both can be wired. Ultimately, is there any reason to spend $171 more for the SLs?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/sonos-one-sl-shadow-edition-two-pack/prod23940132

our sonos integration is 100% local
volume changes do not cause the speakers to emit any notifications
I have not seen any of these devices truncate the beginning of any tts notifications (i own 9 sonos speakers)
I use Ikea symfonisk speakers exclusively for TTS
all sonos speakers/devices, including the ikea units have an ethernet port in addition to wifi capability.
The only sonos devices with microphones are the ones noted with voice control, i think this is currently only the One.
I would not purchase SL's over the Ikea units just for TTS announcements

4 Likes

Thanks @mike.maxwell. I love it. It's up and running, and all my previous issues are gone. Funny how spending money generally solves problems.
And while I said it would be an announcement only, with the playTextAndRestore() call not available with GHM, I can play music with more bass than the GHMs if I want, and not have the music stop when an announcement plays. My wife jokingly asked, "they didn't have any bigger ones?" Well, I think they are not that conspicuous. :smile:

2 Likes