How much data does your Hubitat use?

Recently added central management to my home network and was shocked to see this.

The first two are my media servers, the second two are network cameras. I can't imagine what the Hubitat would do with 17 gb of data in less than a week.

My dashboard shows that Hubitat downloaded 15.7 gb of data and uploaded 1.7gb,

Seems excessive. What am I missing?

1 Like

Over what length of time?

Here are mine over one week:

Edit: I did several platform updates on both of them last week.

1 Like

Given that HE doesn’t require any connection after registration, I’d have to guess that it is something external driving it. Cloud dashboard would account for some, but shouldn’t anywhere near that.

2 Likes

Are you looking at data passed between the Hubitat and router or between Hubitat to the Internet through the router?

Are your IP cameras integrated with Hubitat?

Hubitat is designed so that it can operate without an Internet connection. However, that can only occur if you do not use cloud integrations. If you do use any cloud integrations, there will be traffic between the hub and the Internet on a frequent basis.

For my system, the cloud based apps are Echo Speaks, ActionTiles, Amazon Echo skill and Tp-Link Kasa integration. A full 52% of the processing time of my hub is spent sending information to the Echo Speaks server. Another 33% is used by Actiontiles. Those two apps consume 85% of the processing time of the system. I have not looked at my router to see how much data is exchanged with the Internet, but I am sure it is significant.

The Hue bridge integration is able to function without an Internet connection, but it does exchange a significant amount of data with Hubitat over the local network. In contrast, the Lutron integration uses Telnet. Thus, the exchanges between the Lutron bridge and Hubitat are very efficient.

You can get an idea of which apps are using system resources by going to the menu and selecting Runtime Stats which is near the bottom of the list. The stats do not show the data exchanged, but the stats will tell you which devices and apps spend time communicating with the hub. I suspect you will find that you have some cloud integrations that are responsible for a large portion of your hub processing time. Those same apps will be the ones communicating data over the Internet.

1 Like

Or perhaps another cloud-based integration that’s sending data to/from the cloud?

2 Likes

Shows uptime of 2 days.

I have Chromecast Beta and Google Home, but most of my Google requests are direct (Google speaker playing YouTube Music).

• Excellent question, and I'd have to dig deeper to see. This was just a first glance, and I was caught off guard.

Nope.

Negative, Ghost Rider.
Sorted highest to lowest.

If your own media servers are showing up as heavy hitters, then you are looking at intranet traffic rather than internet traffic. Still seems like a lot. I'd shut down dashboards for a few days and see if that accounts for it (I doubt it). Next step, I'd disconnect Hubitat from the network and see what stops working.

1 Like

Your basement speaker is using a lot of processor time. What type of device it is? If it is an Amazon Echo or Chromecast device it is using the cloud. I do not have a Sonos speaker, so I do not know if it requires the cloud or just uses the LAN. Likewise, I am not certain whether your Marantz 7010 is connected through the cloud or just through the LAN. Either way, it will generate traffic on your network.

Hubitat can connect to Denon and Marantz receivers locally with telnet.

Google Mini. So its audio only, and frankly I was surprised to see it was using so much more than anything else since its not really used that much.

The Marantz is just on the LAN. Doesn't do any streaming at all.

Thats why I'm so confused by what I'm seeing. I can't make sense of it logically, let alone digging into the actual volume of data.

No comment. heh heh. Yeah, I have two Plex Media Servers (one for my friends, one for my house) that stream 4k video, so I'm not shocked there.

I don't really use any dashboards. I have a few, but I never access them. Most of my automations are working as expected, so I don't manually turn anything on and off through a dashboard.

Blasphemy! But might have to give it a shot.

This is all sort of low priority curiosity. I don't have any data caps to worry about and everything seems to be working properly. Just weird data.

Have you Polling enabled in the Chromecast HE app?

Even if you don't every device (linked) state change will send it to Google?

1 Like

IN the Google Home app, I have polling disabled.
I don't see where to set it in the Chromecast app, but I'm still running the beta and thought I had everything off. I did have the Basement speaker checked, but wasn't using it for anything. But at least that seems to be the culprit.

Did me GH app, disable it and see what the data usage is.

I think every state change will be pushed into Google home every time

I use Alexa rather than Google, but the traffic between my Hubitat and Alexa devices is substantial I can use Alexa to trigger changes in devices connected to Hubitat and I can ask Alexa to confirm the status of every sensor connected to Hubitat. Thus, data is being passed between Hubitat and Alexa every time a device updates its status.

I do have an older Google Home speaker and I also have Chromecast audio and video devices, but I have not attempted to integrate them with Hubitat since the Alexa integration works well. However, I presume they would generate a high level of data traffic as well.

I think you know this, but for the benefit of newcomers to this space, those words could use some clarification ..

Hubitat doesn't communicate with Alexa devices. Both Hubitat and Alexa devices connect to services in the cloud that facilitate actions from one to the other.

I can't say that I've measured it, but I would think that data communication for device status, etc. is fairly trivial.

1 Like

I have the Alexa skill enabled. And all zwave devices. Updated to 2.2.8.136 (from 2.2.7.x) yesterday and 2.2.8.138 today.

hubitat-min
hubitat-days

1 Like