How many ex Vera owners are here?

I'd take your Vera Controllers for reasonable price

1 Like

I sold mine on eBay and bought a second C7. :sunglasses:

Goodness, I still have my VeraPlus (and for that matter VeraLite) in my "recycle these electronics one day" box!

2 Likes

It looks like Ezlo/Vera got their Tasmota plugin working last November. It would be nice if these old controllers could be used through HubConnect. They’ll work the cheap $10-15 wifi switches. Hubitat has no plans for native integration at this time. (Maybe in the future)

1 Like

HubConnect? I'm not sure I understand. HubConnect is a means of mirroring devices on one hub to another hub. If a device is integrated into Hubitat, built-in or community, that device can be mirrored to another Hubitat (or SmartThings) hub. I can take LAN devices, such as a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat and mirror its Attributes and Commands to other hubs. Same with Lifx Color bulbs. I run the integration on one hub, discover Lifx bulbs, then mirror them to a different hub.

HubConnect works on Events, and not so much the devices that create those events. Devices have attributes and as they change, an Event occurs. That Event is passed hub to hub and injected into its event processing queue.

I'm pretty sure I don't see how Tasmota is excluded from HubConnect.

1 Like

I think @mcmenemy wants Vera controllers to be supported as a HubConnect peer. To control Vera-paired devices with Hubitat.

3 Likes

My terminology may be wrong. I was using a Smartthings hub through HubConnect and it worked perfectly. Eventually I managed to migrate everything to my Hubitat controller but now that Hubatat does not plan to support WiFi switches running locally on Tasmota anytime in the foreseeable future, I was hoping to integrate my old vera or ezlo hub through HubConnect. They support Tasmota wifi devices with a nifty plug-in.

I don’t why you keep claiming this. Hubitat has never indicated any such decision. There is an unsupported community tasmota integration; there is nothing stopping you from reviving it or writing your own integration.

5 Likes

“There aren't at the moment.“ according to mike maxwell on the tasmota thread. I've edited my wording above to clearify.

And how do you interpret that to mean "decided not to support tasmota? Also, as has been abundantly pointed out to you, there are plenty of options open to anyone seeking to use Tasmota devices with Hubitat.

1 Like

There are a bunch of people that use Tasmota devices for all kinds of stuff on here. Obi2000 has picked up where Markus left off.

3 Likes

Not to change channels abruptly here, but just this morning I was admiring the blue LED glowing in my GE light switch, and thought to myself, "All those years, Vera would not or could not set that Z-Wave switch's stupid LED parameter... and I was able to set it instantly with Hubitat!"

Ahh... well that's easy. The HubConnect protocol is fully documented and can be coded by anyone with the skills.

https://hubconnect.to/knowledgebase/2/HubConnect-Communication-Protocols.html

https://hubconnect.to/knowledgebase/4/HubConnect-Server-Messaging-Explained.html

https://hubconnect.to/knowledgebase/3/Remote-Client-API

I won't be doing this coding because for one, I don't have any Vera equipment nor have I ever.

3 Likes

I’m looking into this “at this time” so I’ll get some of the new zigbee switches that are fine with low wattage. I didn’t know that was an option before. Geesh, “no plans at this time” really does imply no plans…. My apologies.

Thanks for chiming in then. Lol. I’ve seen that elsewhere but I’m not the person with the skills to do that. They claim they see Alexa devices so I was looking for a back way to connect WiFi stuff easily. It’s a project for another time.

It is so much easier with hubitat. You could do it on Vera if you typed in the code on the advanced page. Assuming you could find the correct code to type in.

1 Like

I used the Reactor plugin back in my Vera Lite/Vera Secure days. Frankly, it's the only thing that kept me on that platform as long as I stayed. The inability to do OR operators in rules was unacceptable.

When MSR came out I immediately jumped in. Mild learning curve from the Reactor plugin as some things were done differently being it was a standalone system. With MSR, I had the freedom to move out of the Vera world. With their lack of straight answers around future plans and the firmware for my Vera Secure that never came, I'd finally had enough and started researching.

I found HE on sale and started down the migration path. Wasn't too awful, few devices a week and over a couple months it was done. I now have two HE's, a Home Assistant install for mobile and local dashboarding, and MSR running all the rules.

My experience with Rule Machine was that it wasn't as intuitive as MSR. Perhaps this is due to my prior experience with the Reactor plugin, hard to say.

4 Likes

Ex Vera lite user here. Was running for TEN years on v1.5 UI. Read about many users upgrading and wishing they hadn't (if it aint broke dont fix it ethos)
However, every couple of months it would lose devices so i had to reinstall the most recent backup. A few weeks ago had the same issue but this time it bricked on the next power cycle.
That led me here....
Still early days but managed to get more done in a week than my first few years with vera. Maybe due to an understanding of z-wave devices and home automation but there's still much more i need to learn to get HE doing what i was doing with my old vera. Just about transferred all my old devices to HE but need to upgrade a couple that appear incompatible.

2 Likes

I found that too - but you do get used it.

2 Likes