How have you used your extra hub (developers aside)?

Ok, cool, it would make sense given also what Maker API allows for as well, just wasn't 100% sure.

I actually have a 4th hub that I bought specifically as a backup, in case one fails. But I'm tempted to replace my Hue Hub with it the way @mike.maxwell has for zigbee bulbs. I don't know if it would be faster or anything, but I guess there would be some benefits.

I've avoided doing that for now, though it has been tempting with the additional options it would give me and the easier rule setup. The main thing that has stopped me is my use of long-presses of the off switch on my dimmers. I'm sure there was some other reason I kept them on the hue bridge apart from the general "lightening the load" for a single hub setup like I have now. Perhaps I'll consider it down the track as well...

I like knowing there's lottts of overhead for processing. I'm not running any hub diagnostics like some folks here (I should be...) but things are definitely snappier than they were when I was on only 1 hub.

1 Like

Yeah, I should be doing more monitoring on performance too, I can get some pretty wild swings at times. I'm sure it's due to one or more apps I am running and/or mesh issues.

Same for me. Just bifurcated yesterday... left all devices on the original hub and moved dashboards, Echo Skill, etc to the new hub. No issues controlling hub mesh linked devices from the new "master" hub, and while I don't have hard metrics I do believe lighting automations are running more quickly.

1 Like

I'm in a single story ranch, and am going to be splitting my devices based on location on one side of the house or the other between my two C7s. Still haven't quite figured out the split as it's not like my house is symmetrical one half/one half. Likely going to put all the bedrooms and bathrooms (which are at the other end) on one hub, and entry, office, living room, kitchen/family room on the other. Won't be an even 50-50 split, but makes sense based on device distances from the first hub (which makes most sense where it is) and walls devices will have to go through.

1 Like

My C-7 arrived today :grin:, so now the fun begins....

I'm still thinking as a general rule I will try and keep physical devices on one hub plus any apps that make sense to have local to those devices, with the second hub running apps / drivers where timeliness is not as important, such as cloud-based weather data, apps like Average All, etc. I'm thinking I will try and move my devices to the new C-7 hub to give me the opportunity to spend time trying to build a strong zigbee mesh (some research still required :slight_smile: ). I don't have any zwave devices at the moment, but I am also thinking that if I ever do go down that path the C-7 would be a better hub to host those than my C-4.

Simon

1 Like

In my opinion you are absolutely right about the C7 being better for device hosting than the C4 ... at least for Zwave+ devices. The 700 series stack has allowed Hubitat to give us much better visibility into what's going on in the Mesh, and it seems like its going to settle down into a really awesome implementation as they work all the kinks out!

S.

1 Like