How does Iris or Smartthings presence fob work? What makes them special?

Iris v1 devices do not conform to zha 1.2, this entire reporting discussion is only applicable to zll and zha device profiles.

Yes, with few exceptions these settings are not adjustable in the current driver ui.
Exceptions currently are the hue motion (motion and Lux are setable) and the outlet drivers have adjustable power reporting.

Somewhere on the long lost list of things to do is to expose reporting preferences that make sense.

1 Like

But all you would have to do is write a driver with the proper commands, correct? Or are the commands not available within the driver "framework"?

That would be great if it could happen. There are lots of little things like this that would make things just function better, but I understand the work involved.

I wish I knew more about coding and could help somehow. I can repair any car, I can do plumbing, electrical, and build or repair almost anything around the house. I have two weak points (probably related) and they are math, and programming languages. No matter how I try, I don't understand them.

Thanks again Mike. It at least gives me something to think about.

1 Like

I use and have access to the same command set you all do...

There is no trickery to this, it is not easy to get up to speed with it, not going to bs you...

I still to this day will not change reporting parameters without the sniffer running, it's too easy to create an invalid frame that the device doesn't like...

Dinking with Zigbee reporting and configuration is much harder to get a grip on than poking a few params into a Z-wave device...

What I've learned over the past three years is how little I knew about this three years ago...

3 Likes

Oh Mike, you don't know how much I am feeling you on that one. I have only recently started to get a bit of handle on groovy really works and I've been tinkering for a few years now. And every time I go to do something it just opens a pandora's box of other stuff there is to learn about. Thanks for the warning though. As far as presence, I have really amazing results with the mobile app when it's connected to Android Auto...so I'll prolly just stick with that and save myself the headache. :slight_smile:
You've just saved my weekend!!! hehe

1 Like

The Smarthings presence sensor eats batteries way too quickly. I dumped them for the 4 button Iris FOB part #3450-L2 and the batteries seem to last 20x longer than the presence sensors. The FOB and my cell phone are my presence sensors.

like I said......" I like the direction this thread is going." ha ha :grinning:

Hey @iharyadi, any interest in modding the driver for your sensors that can be set to report temps every 30 sec or so as above ??
You make the sensor so I reckon you must be in the best chair to mod the driver. LOL

No harm in asking right ?

You can do this today by making a small tweak to @iharyadi's driver code. Take a look at the following section of his driver code...

private def reportBME280Parameters()
{
    def reportParameters = [];
    reportParameters = reportParameters + [[TEMPERATURE_CLUSTER_ID(),DataType.INT16, 5, 300, 10]]
    reportParameters = reportParameters + [[HUMIDITY_CLUSTER_ID(),DataType.UINT16, 5, 301, 100]]
    reportParameters = reportParameters + [[PRESSURE_CLUSTER_ID(),DataType.UINT16, 5, 302, 2]]
    return reportParameters
}

The last three parameters are described below:

• minReportTime : Minimum number of seconds between reports
  • maxReportTime : Maximum number of seconds between reports
  • reportableChange (optional): Amount of change needed to trigger a report.

So, to configure his sensor to report every 30 seconds, regardless of whether or not the temperature has changed, you would change the following line of code

from

reportParameters = reportParameters + [[TEMPERATURE_CLUSTER_ID(),DataType.INT16, 5, 300, 10]]

to

reportParameters = reportParameters + [[TEMPERATURE_CLUSTER_ID(),DataType.INT16, 5, 30, 10]]
2 Likes

Dang it.
Now I wish I wasn’t away from home.
But thank you very much for assisting. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

A further suggestion: Get the rechargeable 2450 batteries (and charger) from eBay.