How do you inject power into WS2811 12v LED string light wired for JST SM?

I’m just starting out in diy Christmas light shows. I usually use store bought lights but want to challenge myself. I found some Rextin lights on Amazon they are 12v but they are wired for JST SM and are 3 pin. With 20AWG wire, 50 pixels per string, 60mA, 0.3w/LED. Im trying to join 10 together into one string, each string is 12ft. I have not been able to understand exactly how to physically attach power from a wall outlet to these lights. I’m not sure if there’s something else that I am missing. No matter how many YouTube vids I watch it’s not clear enough. I have found a compatible controller already the SP108E. I know there are many ways of power injecting. I just can’t find one that makes sense. I’m also a little confused with the light connectors. When power injecting do the connectors at the end of each string need to be modified in any way for injecting? I want to go to 20 strings eventually. I am also not sure if using a single power source is better or should I use multiple sources. Finally, and this might be harder part, it’s for wrapping around a massive tree over 100 ft tall. If anyones done anything like this before and has any tips and information would be greatly appreciated.

You might look at this post.

Unless your LEDs have some type of controller, the WS2811 type of LED requires a special "pulse train" into the "data" input. Typically this is done from an Arduino.

The SP108E you found (kudos for finding this) is WiFi. For the Hubitat controller to be able to communicate with it a driver would have to be written. I don't think this is a trivial task.

have not been able to understand exactly how to physically attach power from a wall outlet to these lights

You will need a mains to 12V converter. Physically, you need to post the link to the specific LED strip you have for one to comment.

1 Like