How do we "know" HE won't go the way of the Wink?

You are correct. It’s been a long day.

The hub will talk directly to the services but if they need to talk back they use the cloud gateway. But it depends on the app too.

The nice thing though is if that was ever cut off you could actually code around it and get things to work without their cloud.

This actually gave me an idea for my next project. Hmmmmmmmmm

4 Likes

The HW you are going to have to purchase (the Lutron SmartBridge PRO - The Schlage locks will probably work fine, as aaiyar mentioned) is HW that you will need to acquire regardless of the system you end up migrating to... None of the remaining ecosystems have a Lutron Caseta radio.... You buy the bridge or you replace the Lutron devices.

Buy the Lutron SmartBridge Pro.... The Lutron devices are worth keeping...

4 Likes

I suspect the biggest loss over the first 6 months would be the community, because while there are almost infinite places to build one, the most prolific and knowledgeable people would almost certainly end up scattered to 2-3 different places and so a lot of synergy would be lost.

1 Like

Unlikely.. even if we only got a week's notice, we'd be telling each other where a meeting place could grow. :smiley: No one's gonna shut us up that easily :smiley:

12 Likes

why?

what firmware version are you on!

smartly runs mostly local on the hub with no outside equipment needed once applied. Fonts and icons are hosted externally for now, but the team is working on some future devs that will allow it to run 100% local on the hub

2 Likes

You're part of a thread where they did just that:

Will it run local to the hub? I thought the plan was I'd need somewhere (pc, rpi) to run the docker image?

I know there was talk about running it in on the hub. Now that I think of it, it may have been too large (espeacially as we add icon fonts), so you may be right.

1 Like

Really i think the HE guys need to address this. There is just took much time dedicated to this topic. Do I worry about it - no. Do I read through these threads - yes. So I guess my first statement is a lie, but I don’t dwell on it.

I know HE is a private company and I don’t expect them to lay out their business plan, but they could definitely make a couple statements that would settle this down a little bit.

They have a new CEO that isn’t free. They are planning something. The biggest upset would be if they were shopping themselves around to be acquired.

1 Like

I might be considered an antagonist here, but you can't "know" anything about the future state of HE. The owners certainly can't. They are making plans, but those plans can be thwarted at any time.

When you buy a product, it's for it's current state only (unless specifically stated otherwise). While the owners may be obliged to repair any perceived defects, there aren't obliged to 1) disclose business models, 2) future plans or 3) modify and/or update their product.

I don't see much of a difference between HE and the local donut shop (I finally broke down and bought a few donuts after months of being good :slight_smile: No proprietor can "know" what the future brings. I don't think the owners of the donut shop considered how close to shutting down they were till this unpredictable "pandemic" occurred. They do their best and we spend our money on the fruits of their labors. When that ends, we spend our money on the next proprietor's fruits. We both enjoyed Wink until it wasn't a good idea.

4 Likes

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I'll re-post what I wrote two years ago, because we're still having essentially the same conversation in this thread and several others since Wink announced they were moving to subscription-only.

4 Likes

I haven't registered because I don't see what that provides that I would want. Why would I register it? There's a good chance I'm going to isolate it from the WAN completely. For now it's nice to be able to import user apps and drivers directly, but copy and paste is not too terrible. If the apps I've gotten from the great developers here settle out and don't need updating, I'll probably isolate it.

I'm on firmware v2.2.0.128. That is the latest update available, I think. For now, updates can happen directly because I haven't cut its connection.

Doesn't it need to be registered to get the update? That's what I was getting at.

1 Like

The only part of their business plan that has been mentioned (I think by @bravenel) was that they're not shopping themselves around to be acquired.

3 Likes

Nope! It really dose not need to be registered. It can work completely isolated from the internet, which I will do, eventually. It gets NTP from my LAN, just like my IP camera system. I've already isolated those things. They are really untrustworthy.

@mitchswpt: This is one of those "have you stopped beating your wife?" questions. There is no answer. On the one hand @homeauto2112 is correct that no one can foretell what the future will bring. On the other hand, we can give assurances about a few things:

• It would not be a practical thing for us to even contemplate following Wink by imposing a subscription fee for you to continue to use your hub, since it doesn't even need to be connected to the internet to continue to function. So that's just not in the cards, nor is it something we would do. We may very well offer value-added services that entail subscription fees, but those would be optional and have a clear value to users.
  • Our cloud costs are pretty low, so keeping those aspects of the Hubitat Elevation functionality running is not a burden, unlike the cloud costs for a cloud based HA system.
  • Our overall cost structure is very low as compared to Wink's or ST's.

Our business, like many, is having to roll with the punches dished out by coronavirus, the economy, disruptions to supply chains, etc. In many ways every start up company has to roll with the punches imposed by the real world of being in business. We are not going away in the foreseeable future.

@BrianP The reason to register is to be able to use our mobile app, and/or cloud endpoints in Maker API or other apps, including your own. As a business matter, we don't really care if you register or not, that's entirely up to you.

No. But it does need to connect to the internet.

15 Likes

Yep, and I specifically came to Hubitat so that I would have zero cloud dependence, and I don't use the app, only local dashboards via VPN. It would be fine for me to register, but I'm not doing it out of pride. I'm really happy that I got this fully local solution. Told my father about it--he would like Hubitat's local processing too.

I kinda wish I could connect to the command line, but I know that's a support nightmare for Hubitat, and I wanted a real product like this instead of building something on a RPi.

2 Likes

Ha! There is no command line to connect to, at least not one that has anything to do with the hub platform.

2 Likes

Oh I know there's a Linux system under there somewhere, that can probably run curl or wget.

I just don't know the Groovy interface well enough to do everything I want, yet, but I could do lots from Linux commands.