How Do Light Groups Work?

Thanks for your reply. it now seems to be working, and the color change is working on all the lights in the group. So YAY. :slight_smile:

thanks again.

1 Like

Woot! Awesome!

Just as a warning, once you start messing with it more, know that there is a bug that when you rename a group or a scene in the app, the underlying device does not get renamed. I reported it to support and I believe it's getting fixed in the 2.0.7 release. But, don't quote me on that. :wink:

1 Like

Your symptoms made me think: Careful to NOT skip clicking Done.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

good to know! thanks

1 Like

possibly. it was a whiskey night!

1 Like

Clicking the final Done causes Rules to be evaluated. It still surprises me when I do that and the thing I was debugging springs to life. Palm to forehead moment. :slight_smile:

St. Patty's day isn't for 3 more days. My whiskey is waiting for me. :wink: LOL

I know it's been a while for this topic, but I'm wondering if @cdallum or others solved the reporting of status at a group level? Similar to the OP's premise, back in those dark 'n lonely days of ST, I had created a set of DIY group devices using webcore, both to control groups of devices, but also to report on a dashboard whether ANY devices in the group were ON versus whether ALL devices were OFF. This was huge for WAF -- she could eyeball the dashboard quickly, and make sure each zone in the house was off without looking at every individual device.

So...I was just re-creating these groups in HE using the "Groups and Scenes",app. I then used RM4 to update the group device based on the state of the individual devices that belong to the group. Of course that effort was in vane because it creates a sorta infinite loop. Stupid for not seeing the folly in that approach to begin with.

Which leaves me with this use-case quandary: how to create a group device that controls all the devices in the group (duh, that's the easy part with this app), but also reports on the status of the group in dashboards. Is there another way to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Given the design of device groups, I haven't done any more research on the ability to update the status of the group based on the change of an individual device.

In case anyone wants to see how I solved for Groups with both Control and Monitoring, see the 2 RM4's below. The first one keeps the master virtual switch in sync with individual devices in the group (if ALL are off, the master switches off; if ANY are on, the master is on). That way the master switch can be used to monitor the status of the zone/group on a dashboard. The second rule turns off all the devices in the group if the master is turned off, just like a Hubitat Group works. There is no action if the master is turned on -- just preference for my use-case. But this could easily be altered.

I'm new at this, so not sure this is designed optimally, but it works for me just fine so thought I'd share it in case others benefit.

By doing it this way, I had to delete all my groups that were using the built-in Groups and Scenes app.

First Rule (Master Switch Kept in Sync as Individual Devices Change State)

Second Rule (Turning Off Master Switch Turns Off All Individual Devices)

2 Likes

The Master Switch can not Turns ON All Individual Devices ( in the group ) ?

Just use the mirror me app or the switch bindings app instead. Much, MUCH easier.

Yes, that's true. But it's just a design choice I made for my use-case. I use this for Zones in my house (e.g., all basement lights) so that we can turn off a whole zone with a single tap of the dashboard. The reverse situation--turning them all on--isn't a need we had. But it would be super easy to add if you or someone else had such a need. Happy to help you.

Hey Ryan, I looked at Switch Bindings pretty carefully early on, but it didn't look like it worked for my use-case (master switch on when ANY slaves are on and master switch off when ALL slaves are off). It looked like all the slaves mirrored the master, period. I was trying to solve for both Control and Monitoring, but in this odd, "if anything is on, then the master should be on" kind of way.

Mirror Me is pretty new so I'll have to take a look -- thanks for the tip.

I hate to admit it, but taking the simple way out isn't always my gig lol.

For Group Lights , I create 2 virtual switch : one for state ( same witch your first rule ) and one for On/Off Group lights . It's work but I think someone have a better way . Thanks for your sharing .

No, that is not how it work. All the switches are bound together so if one turns on, they all turn on and if one turns off, they all turn off.

Yep - that's why I ended up rolling my own.

So, you want a master device that doesn't control your devices but instead is on if any of the members are on? That's an indicator....not a master. Maybe that's where we're getting hung up.

Nope, I want both. Technically, I want indicator plus half of a master (just the "off" side).

Specifically, I want a device on a dashboard that will indicate whether anything in a zone/group is on or not (e.g., anything left on in the basement?). Plus I want a device, ideally the same one, that will shutdown the whole zone/group (e.g., I'll just flip this switch and the whole basement will be shut down). I say "half of a master" because, in my use-case, there isn't a need for a turn-group-on, just a turn-group-off (though it wouldn't be hard to add the former).

When I looked at "Groups and Scenes" and "Switch Bindings", neither of them really addressed my use-case. Which is why I rolled my own with RM4. Of course, I readily admit no one else may have this need (other than perhaps the OP here).

In Philips Hue app, the master switch is the best ! One slave is off, but the master and another slave in the group still on, can turn on/off, change dimmer all the group with the master switch... Which HE can I do that ?

1 Like