How do I set Rule Machine to run my rule once a day?

Greetings!

I'm day 2 into my honeymoon phase of migrating all my things from SmartThings and absolutely loving it! I've wrapped my head around most of how things work with the exception of, what seems to be, the beast that is Rule Machine.

What I'd like to do is trigger a "good morning" routine that slowly fades my Hue lights and sets the mode to home. I think I have the basics down, but I realised today that it would run multiple times a day.

I've tried and dismally failed at trying to search the forums after coming across Private Booleans, I'm not sure this works?

The other thing I've thought of doing is having the rule set a virtual switch to on and set a condition that if that switch is on, don't run the rule, then reset the rule at 04:00 or something. Open to some ideas here

This is what I have so far.

"Trigger Events" when they occur will result in the actions to be run.

So you would change the "Select Trigger Events":

• Delete "Kitchen Mode Active"
  • Add "at a certain time"

If you want to include "Kitchen Mode Active" you will have to state what your goal is.

John

1 Like

Thanks guys, I think this is making more sense to me now.
I'm confused about "At a certain time", sometimes I wake up at 05:00 and others at 08:00, it's not clear to me how I'd set that up.

@Carl Cheers for this example, does this resulting rule mean that it runs at 06:00 during the week on the dot, as long as your holiday switch is off?

Thanks to Rule Machine Time Variables just introduced (see Rule Machine Time Variables), you could have a dashboard tile for setting your wake-up time, unless there is enough predictability to it to have a rule set it daily.

You need a way for your system to know when you're awake.

If you've got something else you always turn on when you first wake (like a bathroom light), have your rule watch for that activation. Or, put a Zigbee button on your nightstand, and press it when you wake up.

1 Like

That will only work if you never have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night.

I use one of the button on the pico next to my bed to run a Good Morning Automation that accomplishes this. To me, that is the only reliable way to only have it happen when you want it to.

1 Like

At this point, that would not be me. :roll_eyes: I can, however, find the toilet by the light of my toothbrush charger.

Agreed that "bedside button" is the best option.

Hey...when you gotta go, you gotta go, right? :wink:

I get up and go to bed at different times each day.

I have an Echo Spot next to my bed. When I wake up, I tell Alexa "good morning." Alexa runs a routine that turns on a virtual day switch in HE. In HE Mode Manager, that switch triggers a change to Home mode (from Asleep mode). The change to Home mode triggers a Rule that does stuff I want to have happen when I wake up.

At night, I tell Alexa "good night." Alexa runs a routine that turns the virtual day switch off. That makes mode manager change the mode to Asleep, and an RM rule is triggered that does stuff I want to have happen when I go to sleep.

2 Likes

Thanks again to everyone who's contributed, got some reading up to do. I seem to be stuck in a "how would I automate this with SmartThings" which is probably making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I'll report back with my findings and how I've managed to automate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just thought I'd update everyone, having a lot of fun getting things setup. Not sure if it's just me, but moving to Hubitat from SmartThings has made me want to tinker, make things better and just generally have the freedom to add what I want without relying on the cloud.

Anyway, I had a basic setup done a week ago and fine tuned things a bit this weekend. I can probably narrow this down to one rule, took a lot of insipration, potentially pirated, @Carl's solution :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.