How do I set a lock code to work only between certain times?

I have a contractor who is working at my house right now. I would like to allow his lock code access between 7:30am and 6:30pm every day. When I had alarm.com I was able to set codes to work only on certain days or between certain times no problem. Here for the life of me I cannot find a way to do it. It allows between dates, it allows to unlock or lock, what I want is for a code to work only between certain times and on certain days. Help.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.29.51 PM

That thread is a couple years old and an older RuleMachine UI. The concepts still exist in RM v5:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.34.22 PM

This uses a Custom Command, which is tricky to find:

3 Likes

Can you use the predicate fields to make the rule only run at certain times and days? That's a new feature in the Rule Machine 5.

@norman Lockshare from Hubitat Package Manager will do this easily for you. No rules needed.

2 Likes

I used this feature of my Schlage WiFi lock all the time (cleaners, pet sitters) and would like to do it with my Z-Wave Schlage, but I'm worried about wearing out the flash and having a $200 brick...

Does anyone know the life cycle on the flash in the locks?

I guess I'm being paranoid because at even 10000 cycles before failure and 2 cycles a week, that's nearly 100 years. But who knows, deleting and adding a code might be a lot more than 2 cycles and the maximum wear might be a lot less than 10000...

FUD keeps me up at night. :smile:

What if it's 10x worse than you thought and the Lock only lasts 10 years?

Did you get good value at $20/year?

Consumer electronics devices still in use at 10 years is somewhat rare.

2 Likes

At $20 a year, yes, that's OK.

I guess what I'm really worried about is it lasting only a couple of months... Remember the Tesla's burning through their flash with too much logging such that the car's computer died after less than two years? Same issue here, just a few dollars less, but still...

Like I said, FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt). I was just wondering if someone with more hardware specific experience knew the orders of magnitude that I was looking at, if I go ahead and do this.

I've had my locks several years. They ain't wearing out

That's good to hear. Thanks.

True. I bought Schlage zwave locks in 2014. In 2020 I replaced them with Yale zigbee locks.

But my worst replacement record is with thermostats:

2012: Honeywell WiFi thermostat
2012: ecobee Smart Si
2014: ecobee3
2019: Honeywell zwave+
2020: Vivint CT200
2020: Honeywell zwave+
2021: ecobee3lite
2022: GoControl zwave+

1 Like

That seems more like a personal issue... :wink: :rofl:

1 Like