How do I change the status of a keypad in RM4?

OK, so how in HSM do you use the keypad to do something besides arm and disarm? And how do you set a mode from the keypad and not arm or disarm? Don't see anyway to do that in HSM. But if that is all you use the keypad for, then yes that is the way to go. But as I explained above I don't do things that way. HSM doesn't serve my purposes.

No looping occurs. Rule 1 looks for change in mode. If mode changes it sets keypad status. Since mode doesn't change again that rule doesn't rerun. And vice-versa the other way.

Vice Versa the other way is incorrect. When you arm the keypad, it doesn't actually ARM instantly if you have it set up for an exit delay. So, the issue is, the keypad goes to ARM and that Arms HSM but HSM isn't actually armed yet. It is delayed arming state. So, right there is your first problem. And if you have an arming delay set up in your keypad as well, then the state of the keypad doesn't report back that it is arming delay, it only reports back when it's armed. So you end up with 2 arming delays. One for the keypad and one for the hub.

Integrating with HSM, fixes that problem.

If you don't use arming delays, which most people do, then you wouldn't have to deal with that problem.

I'm not going to sit here and waste my time justifying why the app that Hubitat built to use for keypads isn't the best option to use for security keypads. That should be self-evident.

The point is, in order to get the easiest, most complete integration of your keypad with HSM, you have to add it to HSM. Period. If you don't use HSM., then no, you don't have to integrate the two.

IF HSM is your thing, then by all means use it. I don't use HSM as it doesn't meet all my needs.

If I put a keypad in HSM then I am limited to only 3 functions from the keypad. Arm away, Arm Night, and disarm. I use the keypad for other things also. If a certain code is entered then I open a garage door. I don't necessarily want to arm or disarm. If I want the keypad to arm/disarm then I use another code. You can't do that in HSM. In my case it sets mode and the mode controls what is armed or disarmed.

If some other source sets the mode then the rule that detects mode change sends a command to the keypad to update it's status. If the keypad status is already that status, nothing really happens. So no loop back. If the keypad is used to set mode and the sysetem is already in that mode the mode change rule never fires as there is no mode change. So there is no looping in either method.

The OP was just asking how to set the keypad status in RM4. I told him how to do that. If he chooses to use HSM as you say, great. More power to him. But there are alternatives if he so chooses and that is what I gave him.

I didn't use SHM over on that other platform as it was too limited in my system. And for the same reason I don't use HSM as it doesn't fulfill all my uses. Especially with the keypad. I need more than 3 functions from the keypad and with RM I get that. If I choose to use HSM at some point, I can still let RM do the control and set HSM.

You're assuming that a keypad is just for security. And that is not always the case. As far as delays in arming or whatever, RM does that just fine also. I just use the delay before setting the mode. Same as HSM would do.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.