How can I tell what automation turned on a light?

Are you referring to it not allowing you to directly expose the hub to the internet? If you can remote in to a network computer, you can access it from that, or I think you can still get a free trial of remote administration. It’s a pretty small price for remote admin if you keep it, which is what I did just for ease of use and if my network computer misbehaves.

5 Likes

If you are in fact referring to that security check they added, it is in no way to force you to pay for remote admin. Exposing the hub to the internet is a huge security risk, as the direct connect web interface does not have that great of security on it (since it is intended to be firewalled on your LAN).

Most modern routers allow you to setup a VPN server on them, which is how I access my hub from remote, does not require you to connect a local PC at all, just VPN in to the router itself and I have access to my local network from anywhere. Or if you cannot be bothered with that they offer the remote admin service.

Updating to current firmware is going to be the only good way to track down how something is getting turned on/off with the new info they added to the events.

5 Likes

Same here. It was exceptionally easy to set up the VPN function on my ASUS router. I do most of my rule editing/creation when I'm bored and not at home on my local network.

3 Likes

Totally off topic. You can't use the new HomeKit integration either, or any other new feature introduced in 2.3.3, 2.3.4, and later.

2 Likes

Just upgraded from an AC56U to the AX68U this year.
If you have a supported model I would HIGHLY recommend the Merlin firmware: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ He keeps all of the Asus features and UI, and just adds small little upgrades and patches to it, it is amazing. I will only buy routers that he supports with his firmware.

4 Likes

I'm on a 66U and have started contemplating that it's probably time to upgrade myself.

I'll take another look at Merlin. Thanks

2 Likes

Oh dang that's an oldie. You would be delighted with the AX68U for performance. If you are in the US (maybe Canada also) and you watch Amazon in the "used" section, look for stuff sold from "Amazon Warehouse". You can get some great deals in there for dented boxes or "minor cosmetic damage", for some reason they always seem to have routers in there, returns possibly. Usually the box is ripped and that's about it! The next step up is the AX86U but I didn't like the price and the AX68U is actually newer.

Or just connect this to a home assistant running on raspberry pi and just use the Hubitat for sending commands.