How can I fake a double tap on a dimmer?

Ah! Yes, I noticed the 3-way setup for Zooz requires a dumb switch to slave onto it. Some would call it a plus while others would call it a minus. For me, it's a minus. Thus why I'd still be looking at GE for 3-way setups.

As for the GE switches already on my walls, I don't think they're reporting, after all. I think perhaps I was just lucky with the poll timing, earlier.

If I'd just gone with all-new to begin with, it would have probably been cheaper in the long run. Now I need to find a way to offload these older switches and replace the ones in the walls. I'm sure I'll absorb some of the cost. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Or here's a thought... I could put the GEriatric dimmers in non-critical rooms like bathrooms, hallways, the light pointing at the fireplace mantle (since I already have them) or anywhere I don't need scene control and then new, smarter switches in living spaces like bedrooms, living room, kitchen, etc... Especially since some of these are 3-way setups which are already in the walls. At the very least, I could probably try that first and see if it works out before starting totally over.

4 Likes

Only the newer zooz switches support double-tap. The older ones do not.

The only thing you gain by using the GE with the add-on switch is the ability to dim/brighten from the add-on (3-way) switch. That is what having the add-on switch gets you. But it does require a traveler wire. Also, you have to buy the switch which is usually $20.

1 Like

Correct. That's precisely what I want.

You can also do that by getting the ZEN22 dimmer with the latest firmware (get in touch with support first to request it) and a ZAC99 accessory switch. This set-up is much more flexible when it comes to wiring too and you can use the ZAC99 switches with a ZEN22 in 4-way, 5-way, or even 6-way set-ups regardless of the wiring layout (neutral is still required).

3 Likes

How do you get the ability to brighten and dim from a single momentary? Does it depend on what the starting level is? Does it continue in one direction until it reaches the max or min? Or does it change direction each time you stop brightening/dimming?

It works in a sequence, much like other single button momentary dimmers. So press and hold to increase brightness, press and hold again to decrease brightness. Anytime you single click it, it will change status. So it's not exactly the same as the 2-button GE add-on but more affordable and more flexible when it comes to wiring scenarios, especially for multi-switch set-ups like 4-way or 5-way installations.

Yeah...but it's definitely more difficult for guests/people unfamiliar with the switch to figure out what they are supposed to do with it.

You would think! But how many people unfamiliar with smart switches will intuitively press and hold a paddle to dim the lights if most "dumb" dimmers have a slider or a knob to do that? :slight_smile: In our experience, there are many consumers who have never used a dimmer switch at all. And among those that have, it rarely looked and worked like the GE add-on.

I'd say that ultimately, it needs to be intuitive for the person using it every day. The ZEN22/ZAC99 is not a perfect solution but since it's something we just introduced recently, I thought I'd mention it as an option.

2 Likes

I meant more the press up for on and down for off. A single tap for both is confusing.

I agree the end product of centre off retractive is much more user friendly, it's all we recommend with our products. But it is also surprising how people do just understand a push to make switch, there simple and they look like normal switches. It just that they don't know any better.

I couldn’t use the app because I was trying to use a switch not a button, but the code you write for RM actually works great.

Have to remember to tap a little slower than a ‘double click’, but definitely +1 for using this method :smile: