How can I do this in a Dashboard Tile?

Funny you should ask because I’m working on a solution for that exact problem. Everything about it is customizable, colors, borders, font size, alignment, attributes, titles, column headings, etc and supports highlighting for keywords such as the word open in this case. My guess is I’m about 1-2 weeks from release because I don’t like releasing buggy software.

I tried Tile Master too but found it cumbersome and did not like the look of tiles. Did not really find a solution so I wrote my own.

P.S. The activity tile is a special tile that reports using the lastActivity attribute according to a variety of filters.

P.P.S It is easy to use too.

5 Likes

Threw this together as a result of adding a customization option to the Hub Information Driver:

[BETA]Tile Template Device Manager

Bottom line is that you can construct a tile with as many attributes and style it with as much CSS as you can fit in 1024 characters. Doesn’t do variables at the moment but it’s an easy add so maybe next week if I have time.

2 Likes

Worth mentioning, although it may seem like overkill, is that you can "minify" your CSS (and likely other textual components) in order to fit more goodness into that 1024-character limitation... visit CSS Minify to try it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Related, can a device driver be written to take data from another device and output that in a configurable string, or is that strictly an app process?

I.e. layering a device atop another?

1 Like

Generally an app, see:

This looks really cool!

Going to try this out later today. I've converted my Min/Max to virtual temp sensors to make display easier. Thanks folks.

You might want to take a look at @gslender 's Hubivue (www.hubivue.com) 100% local and allows customizable tiles easily. You can see here I have Temp and Humidity but you can pretty much do as many of what you want

2 Likes

Also working on a special Weather tile that has animated background weather.

Here’s a sneak peek…

4 Likes

You should make an integration into the Weatherflow Tempest API :slight_smile:

Really is attractive. OK. I might have to look into hubiView. :thinking:

The Weather Tile will work in two (2) modes:

• hub mode obtains weather data directly from the hub via any compatible weather driver like Weatherflow or Ecowitt; or
  • direct mode obtains weather data from the Internet OpenWeatherMap API and requires you to enter a API key and the location details

Details are still being worked out, but it should be flexible enough for most folks

2 Likes

I'd like to see Weatherflow Tempest because that is literally in my back yard... Current attributes available through their open API

In the list of hub attributes, it doesn't give you the current weather description (ie Clear, Cloudy, Storm, Rain etc) - how do you propose that is derived from the API ??

I'm using the light driver. API provides forcast data

Oh... so what you're doing is using a hub connected device to send "some" weather data to the hub, but you expect the dashboard to connect to the API server of the device to collect "more" weather data to build a more complete picture of the weather at home?? That level of complexity won't be available initially, but will look into that over time - obviously combining that level of complexity isn't easy (as I'd need to support a bunch of APIs as everyone has their favorite).

Mine does that:

2 Likes

@garyjmilne did you publish your app?

@syepes Yes I did finish it but I'm going to be gone for two months with only my iPad mini and did not want to try and provide support etc. without my desktop, so I won't be releasing it until March. I also need to write up some documentation as the capabilities are fairly extensive and I don't want to answer a million questions. The good news is that the capabilities of the finished product exceeded my own expectations. There are two child apps right now so it looks like this in the app interface.

The first child app allows you to publish data for a single attribute across multiple devices. Here is a sample. The tile sizes are all limited to 1,024 bytes, so less flashy tile allows more rows of data.

The second allows you to publish tiles based on the activity attribute. This sample demonstrates some of the built in templates display almost identical data. This type of tile can be used to monitor most recently\least recently active which is helpful in finding devices with dead batteries or things such as most recently active doors\windows, repeaters etc.

All of these are generated using a point and click interface. The only CSS editing that is occurring here is this to hide the tile background and title.
#tile-0 {background-color: rgba(128,128,128,0.0) !important;}
#tile-0 .tile-title {display: none;}

Some things not apparent from these screenshots. The first is the ability to include animations that fire whenever the data changes. Secondly the ability to configure thresholds for displaying text in alternate size and colors, i.e. display <50% battery in red at 125% font size. Finally the ability to substitute device attribute values with icons such as "on" with :bulb: or "not present" with "Away" for example.

So, I'll be releasing these as donationware in March for a few $$. If there is reasonable interest I'll add two other child apps. The first would be a tile that can contain a mix of different devices and attributes. The second would support actions using the maker API. Using animations it should allow for the creation of some very appealing animated controls like switches, dimmers and light bulbs.

One last feature I will point out is the ability to save a configuration as a text string and share it with others via these forums. It's quite a lot of fun generating these various designs but it would be even more fun to share ideas with others and see what other people create.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.