How boost the hubitat signal

I don't know why but one of my outdoor lamp using zigbee cant reach the hubitat hub. Its not too far from the hub.. around 10 meters.... so how can i extend or boost zigbee signal? i already read on other review website that the signal strengh of the hubitat is very poor even for the 7 version

2 Likes

You will want to look at the ZigBee signal strength via the ZigBee table and then assess whether you need to incorporate additional ZigBee repeaters.

I will need to get the url for the ZigBee table on my PC when the Men's Tennis Final is finished :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How many walls in between? What are they made of? How many zigbee repeaters in your network?

3 Likes

I would start by looking further into this before hacking the hub’s antenna as also suggested above (although that may be a valid option depending on the specifics of your situation and your tinkering skills with respect to circuit boards).

4 Likes

A decent repeater near the hub should account for any of the hub's Zigbee antenna shortcomings. That should be all the boost you need. You won't notice any added latency (Zigbee data rate is always 250kbps) and with good RF links Zigbee routing works well. Z-Wave's mesh routing (and iffy NWI/NWE) in many scenarios is problematic so a Z-Wave antenna upgrade solves a lot of issues by allowing direct device connections; not the same scenario for Zigbee.

4 Likes

While the Hub signals may be lower that other hubs. I would think once you successfully reach a repeater the hub signal level is irrelevant. So what you might look for is a repeated with good signal level.

DrHaas *** has created a thingshield replacement using a TI cc2530 Zigbee module. This module has a connector for an external antenna. I would try something along these lines before opening my C7.

***DrHaas

I have several (4) of the cc2530 Zigbee modules working in my system. They work well and have been solid. I don't know how strong their signals are relative to other devices but one of them is about 7 meters from the hub through two walls.

Yeah, the range is pretty good.
Just remember that you have to do a little soldering to move one resistor on the board (described in the documentation) to enable the external antenna port (and disable the internal).

1 Like

well only one wall of stone
but the lamp is front of a aluminium door so the signal can pass by the window of the door i guess...
and i dont have a zigbee signal repeater... dont know wich one works with hubitat

well they are at the 7 version and still no external antenna port... dont know what they wait for to make it since the hubitat was always review for their POOR signal strenght

Please read this document; while it is specific to zigbee meshes, there's a similar document that applies to z-wave meshes. I've had large zigbee and z-wave meshes that were fast, responsive, and stable. Invariably, the claims of "poor signal strength" arise from those who do not have well-constructed zigbee meshes.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

Stone attenuates WiFi signals very well, and zigbee also uses the same frequency (2.4 GHz) at an even lower power. So, without repeaters, it is no surprise that your zigbee end-devices cannot be seen by the hub. This article indicates the effect of different building materials on attenuating WiFi signals. Whatever it says about WiFi signals is even more applicable to zigbee signals.

5 Likes