House water flow meter? I had a leak that cost me!

I need to check what version I'm running to see if anything has changed. But the github shows most updates being from 3-4 years ago. That's probably around when I started using it.

Do you ever loose connection to your SDR dongle? Once every couple of weeks I need to unplug mine and plug it back in. Not enough to really worry about, I have my pi reboot once a week and that's usually enough to not miss any data.

Nope. The time I ever see that is when I bump it; it's so big and it sticks far out the back of the computer. I'm eyeing the Nano I linked above just for that reason.

1 Like

Hmmm - I'm no longer sure of that answer. I don't remember why, but sometime 5 years ago I changed my scripts to restart rtlamr and rtl_tcp daily. The only reason I can think of to do that would have been it stopped updating, and I vaguely remember that might have been happening every bunch of days.

1 Like

I'm curious as well as I am thinking of installing this. I believe with the flow sensor you have to use their GT130 Hub.

Just ordered the flow meter...had meant to do this before and lost track of it in my (endless) to-do list. Glad this thread popped up again for both the water and power monitoring info.

Just putting this here for posterity. Flumes LEAK algorithm is based on 120m of continuous readings every other minute. IOW - 60 readings every other minute across 120m. If 1 is missed, counter is reset.

I learned this by pretending to have a slow leak. Flume support said this is how it currently is, and acknowledged that it sort of sucks when 1 reading is missed.

3 Likes

Have to acknowledge @cgmckeever - put a lot of effort into figuring this behavior out, working with Flume support etc. Graciously kept me in the loop as to what was going on.

Kudos!!!

3 Likes

@erktrek I think it was aggressively kept you in the loop against your own will ... LOL .. thanks!!!

For those interested in the test, I got a faucet to drip at .02 GPM. Which is also about 1 Gallon per hour. Which is not a leak I would want to last for a couple hours.

At that flow, my meter only had a resolution of every 2 minutes. This is a factor of Flume/Meter/Pipe ... As you can see, it would have been great, except for the couple times where the resolution bumped for more than 2 minutes, thus (according to Flume) would reset the counter.

They said this flow is probably the bare minimum that can be registered (.02) due to the technology. TLDR: very slow leaks may not be caught accurately.

2 Likes

You might check with your water company. Mine (east coast) has a feature they will notify you if your water goes above a certain daily (maybe hourly) limit. Our water meter is connected with our water company. It updates pretty often but I don't recall the frequency.

Very good to know, thanks for the info/testing, and for aggressively involving @erktrek, as I was too busy today to complete my normal level of Erktrek pestering. :wink:

Just installed my Flume (man - Amazon got it here in a few hours!) and am about to look into the Flume integration posted above.

1 Like

I am also interested in the Flume 2 for water use/leak detection/notification for both water cost and damage mitigation. I am hoping for some clarification as to the Flume 2 capabilities and costs.

As I understand it, due to limitations in detection threshold, it may not be sensitive enough to indicate slow leaks of less than 1 gph as well as those that do not last over a 2 hour recording period if there is a break in data transmission (sorry, I was not clear on polling frequency and any delay between data detection at the meter and display on the cloud site)? Also, in addition to obvious purchase and setup costs, an additional yearly subscription of ~$60/year (used to be free?) needed to have access to any real useful information (i.e., data that has enough frequency and resolution so that it could be utilized for leak damage mitigation)? Just wanted to see if I am interpreting the information in this thread correctly?

For leak damage mitigation and notifications, I have several leak detectors in the house integrated with HE and a Bulldog main water shut off valve controller but wanted to catch things like a leaking toilet valve, dripping faucet or leak in the outdoor sprinkler system causing excessive water waste. TIA for any help and clarification!

I dont think the subscription gives you any more fidelity of data. However, there is some FAQ on their site that their detection thresholds are .02 GPM, which is about 1 GPH.

The 2 hour period is painful. But, TBH, anything less than 60 minutes could be easily false alarmed, at least in my usage pattern.

With all that, hopefully the upcoming version of the driver will let you do two things

• Increase the lookback window from 2 min of consecutive flow to anything you want
  • Create your own alerts on flow time to whatever you want

Those two parameters let you catch a lot more, but also could false alarm a lot more. IE 45 min alarm time that washer, dishwasher, showers all over lap for 45 min continual

Thanks for the feedback @cgmckeever.

Regarding the subscription: I was concerned as I read a recent review on Amazon regarding functionality of the Flume 2 WITHOUT subscription. Reviewer stated “Wow, the functionality without the Insight subscription turned out to be really, really poor. Instead of viewing usage real-time, and being able to drill down to the minute, now I only see by the hour. The views are only hourly (for only the last 24 hrs), YTD, last year, or last 24 months. Pretty useless. Also, the minimum interval to set an automated leak alert for went up to two hours.“

I did not know if the HE driver negated the need to spend for a subscription (based on the currently available version of the HE driver) or if the subscription was needed in order make the cloud data available to HE. Also, IIRC, I saw some information that stated that the battery packs did not last very long (approximately 4-6 months) although the unit could accommodate an additional battery pack which was only available from Flume (at a current cost of ~$20) and that they had to be replaced every time they were depleted as they were not rechargeable. Did not know if this was accurate information but was concerned with the cost of operation (if it took about $40/year for 2 power packs + cost of subscription). Again, still researching this and want to make sure I have accurate information so I know what I am actually getting into. Thanks again!

You can drill down to minute by minute in the app if you want to, w/out subscription:

You can also look at other days, you are not limited to a single 24 hour period.

Whoever wrote that article was either paid/motivated to go after them, or just unable to figure anything out in the app.

I'll have to look into the battery issues, that could also be incorrect, if it's from the same person.

The battery pack that came with my Flume 2 lasted about 9 months, FWIW. Obviously your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Do you know if there are there any options to use 3rd party batteries/battery packs, or are you locked into using Flume's battery?

The replacement pack that I ordered was an integrated and Flume branded block, but the one it replaced was just a carrier with 4x AA batteries that I could have easily replaced. When you get yours, crack open the sensor (the part that goes on your meter) and see what it came with.

I just bought a new Flume 2 from Amazon, and it uses replaceable AA’s.

1 Like

I'll open mine tomorrow and see what I've got

I did read on Reddit that rechargeable batteries didn't have enough volts, amps, or something. So that might not be an option...

I wonder if there is a way to extend the batteries OUT of the case to make for easier replacement. My meter is in a tight arse location and changing them is not gonna be exciting.

something for future me to consider.

Also, @moh I just canceled Insight, it still it enabled till my 30-day window, Once that lapse Ill confirm the reading fidelity, but I think @danabw got it

2 Likes