Hot Tub power failure

My GFCI sometimes trips on my 220v Hot Tub. The contactor is located in the basement and I have no way of knowing that the power went out. The coil of the contactor is 24v ac. The disconnect switch near the hot tub controls the 24 volt coil. I am trying to find a zwave device that I can connect and get HE to notify me when power is out.

Make your own?

It seems like you could use a 24V relay. Wire the relay contact (switch) terminals of the relay to a Zwave contact sensor. There are Zwave sensors that have internal screw contacts that would allow this external input.

1 Like

I think @SmartHomePrimer does something for triggering a power contactor. Hopefully he sees this.

Could you use a clamp-over power monitor like the Aeotec one?

I've done what you're suggesting, but if I'm understanding @mrcorvettegolfer correctly, then what @neonturbo is suggesting is spot on.

The circuit sounds as though there is a low voltage (24v) operated magnetic contactor that connects 220v to the hot tub. Assuming that a break in the power to the 220v supply also disrupts the 24v supply voltage for the magnetic contactor (which by the description I would assume that it does), then if a 24v SPDT or DPDT relay was connected to the 24v coil of the magnetic contactor, when power is released from the relay, it should be able to trigger a contact sensor which has its reed switch connected to the normally closed contacts of the relay.

The Ring Alarm extender will show power supply (mains/battery)
I have an app that reacts to this (or a switch or contact)

Andy

A Sage Doorbell sensor works on 10-24VAC. You could hook it up to the coil and it will notify you when the state changes like a doorbell being pressed. They are $5 on eBay.

2 Likes

Very creative. I like it!

I have been attempting to use a Sage Doorbell Sensor to sense 24V AC signals from my HVAC system. I have been unable to figure out how to keep it from sending multiple events per second for the whole time the signal is on. See this topic. I am working on a work-around based on periodic polling, but don't have that working yet. Report here if you get something working. I would be interested.

Well, if itโ€™s not doable via the driver, it increases the price a bit, but what you could do is add a time delay relay to cancel it after a few seconds. Then it wonโ€™t repeat until power is restored (or removed depending on how you wire it).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZXGK9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eWELEbZ6HE5QN

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.