Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostats

I am about to migrate to Hubitat. I have 3 Honeywell Z-Wave thermostats the I need a driver for. Has anyone got this thermostat to work?

Honeywell model number is TH8320Z1000

Thanks
John

Not much discussion about these. But look here:
https://community.hubitat.com/t/honeywell-thermostats-total-connect-comfort/1853/2?u=cal.hub

@CAL.hub

Thanks but he Z-Waver version is a different animal. I originally chose it (before they were obsoleted) because there was no chance of connection to the cloud.

Did you find a solution for this? I am expecting my hub on Monday and want to get off ST as soon as I can. Thanks for any info.

HI,

I have two Honeywell thermostats working fine with the built in "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" driver. Had absolutely no issues pairing and running with this thermostat. I have not had a chance to do much with automation through Hubitat as they are only for heating. Will get to is soon as the weather turns colder.

Been a few months since you posted about your experience with the Honeywell Zwave thermostat. How are you liking it so far?

Do you know if it is Zwave PLUS or 1st gen Zwave?

I am a little reluctant to buy non Zwave plus devices since everything I have purchased so far have been the PLUS standard, as well as there have been posts from people who have claimed that once they removed their 1st gen Zwave devices from their mesh, things started working faster etc.....

Thanks

HI,

I know that my thermostats are not ZWave Plus. I doubt Honeywell made a ZWave Plus since they've moved to WiFi .
BTW the TH8320ZW1000 is not on Honeywells website anymore, I believe it has been discontinued.

My thermostat controls heat well (don't use cooling on this thermostat) and responds to fHubitat, I'm not sure what more you can expect.

My concern was more centered around mixing zwave plus with zwave gen1 devices and how that might affect the mesh. That would be the only gen 1 device in my mesh if I got one.
Thoughts?

I avoid standard zwave like the plague. That is what turned me on to the remotec zts-500 thermostat. It is pretty basic, though, so doesn't work for all people.

I read others have reported some sort of degraded performance by mixing. I personally have not noticed anything. Perhaps I don't have that many devices to be an issue. At the moment I have 35 devices, mixed non plus, plus and zigbee.

You definitely should not have degraded performance, per se. Zwave is the MOST interoperable standard out there - v100 through v500 all coexist perfectly. Even the upcoming v700 was interoperability tested all the way back to v100 devices.

However, since zwave "regular" doesn't proactively report status changes, that means many non-Plus zwave devices need to be periodically polled by the hub. Which sucks for anything you want fast updates on - like maybe thermostatOperatingState, for instance.

Your right, I wasn't thinking about regular light switches.

In the case of the thermostats, the Honeywells regularly report their status. Even if I change the temperature on the thermostat controls it reports to the hub. I guess the Cooper patent didn't claim thermostat functions.

Yeah, that stupid patent really screwed things up for a while on the zwave front (until 2016 to be precise).

And there were a variety of techniques that devices used to get around the patent - at least a 'good enough' workaround.

One common one was to send an event that something happened (button push, for instance) that did NOT include the new status value, and then let the hub do a "get" to fetch the status immediately after that.

That was outside of the Lutron patent as the device didn't send status immediately/unsolicited (technically).

I've not read the actual patent, however it sounds like the patent could have been written better (i.e. worse for the automation community)

I've read it. It is boring and filled with a lot of techical jargon. Just like you would expect.

But, yes, if it were written a little more broadly (of course it might not have been approved if it had broader wording) it could have been much worse for the industry.

Then everyone would have had to license the IP, which simply would have made everything more expensive by ~$20/device.

I'm very new to HE and coming over from Wink so I thought I would drop this bread crumb for the next person.

I was successfully able to add the TH8320ZW to HE and then edited the device and chose "Generic Z-Wave Thermostat" as the Device Type. I can now see a lot of it's settings and even change it's state. Coming from Wink, the HE thermostat display is a bit less intuitive, but I am still getting up to speed.

Edit: It also seems to work as a Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave Thermostat. I don't see a lot different when I switch to this device type,

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.