HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

So something interesting to throw out there.

When using Homeseer and the Lutron plugin, motion lighting is like instant.

However, if I tell Homeseer to have Hubitat turn on the light with Hubitat speaking to the hub, then I experience the delays I was explaining above.

So my thought now is the driver telnet intergration between Hubitat and the Lutron hub.

My Hubitat / Lutron motion lighting automations run instantly. No delays whatsoever. I use Zigbee motion and contact sensors to control Caseta switches and dimmers all over the house. My performance is amazingly quick.

Oh, and I do not reboot my hub except for firmware upgrades. I don’t have performance degradation issues with my current configuration.

1 Like

I don’t know to be honest.

Maybe a reinstall of the Lutron app on Hubitat may correct it?

What hub model do you have?

I have an original C3 that is my workhorse hub. I have a C5 that I use for software development and testing. This ensures that I don’t mess up things for the family. I get to enjoy my hobby, while they get to enjoy a stable system. Win-Win!

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking.

Most people report all these issues with the c5 hub if I’m not mistaken.

The only issue that I know of, specific to the C5, is the Ethernet port’s auto-negotiation problem. If a C5 hub is experiencing this issue, I believe it could definitely impact the Lutron SmartBridge communication via Telnet. C5 users should definitely reach out to Hubitat Support if they experience slow performance related to LAN communications (e.g. web browse performance to the Hub’s admin page.)

I’m not seeing this on my setup either. I think there’s something really off with your Hubitat setup/network environment.. Do you have ANY custom apps/drivers at all?

My slowdowns only happen over time, and it mostly only affects RuleMachine/lighting automations.

Mine run instantly too, except the first time after a reboot--then it takes about 5 seconds. I used to think it was just the telnet connection reinitializing, even though I was told this should happen automatically upon reboot, but it's not (not that I didn't listen)--I see events coming through with motion/occupancy sensors before this just fine (so telnet is OK) and only notice this delay when I press a button on a Pico. I also used to think this delay was once on any Pico and then all were fine, but I'm beginning to suspect it's either once per Pico or once per app (hard to tell in my setup since most are a 1:1 ratio).

In any case, after that, it's fast. :slight_smile: I wish I knew what was going on before this, but that initial delay is one of few reasons I don't like to reboot my hub (which I also don't do often, but I do notice multiple Hue lights in a row taking slightly longer to turn on than normal--still under a second or so but noticeably popcorn-y--if I go more than a week or so without rebooting; I'm running a tiny but of custom code on that hub but none I'm willing to get rid of for long enough to see if that might be the culprit, so it's just something I'm living with, and it never gets bad/long enough to bother me)

When you say instantly like within a second or two? When using Homeseer it’s as fast as a mechanical occupancy sensor. When using Hubitat there is a delay.

I’m using Hubitat motion sensors through Homeseer. Which is why I think it has nothing to do with the LAN. I suspect the Lutron intergration now.

Since all my rules are events under Homeseer for these right now.

When I say instant, I mean basically as soon as I press or release the button (though again, not always the first time after a reboot). I could understand a delay the first time an automation runs (possibly the app getting JIT-compiled, not that it isn't still annoying), but I think staff would be quite interested in figuring out why there is a delay with only stock integrations if there is still one after that.

When I say instantly, I mean within about a tenth of a second. With SmartThings, it used to take about 1-2 seconds.

Oh hang in. You’re referring to Pico remotes and pressing the buttons on those correct? Mine are instant to because the Lutron hub does the control for most my picos.

Outside of that if Hubitat is sending anything commands to the hub they are delayed on picos motion etc...

I’m not talking about a substantial delay but enough you are 3, 4 steps into a room.

Running it off Homeseer it’s my first step in.

What are you using for motion sensors? Are you using Caseta or RadioRA2?

No that’s the funny thing.

I’m using Hubitat with iris v2 motion sensors and tying it back to Homeseer via maker API.

Hmmmm :thinking: Have you tried performing a Soft-Reset on your Hubitat hub? That seems to restore performance for most users who have issues.

Yep less then two weeks ago.

@mik3, can I summarize?

You have the following. ALL running through Hubitat

Iris V2 motion sensors
Lutron Connection

Running Motion Lighting through Hubitat "seems slow".

Now same hardware all running through Hubitat BUT the automation is controlled via HomeSeer with the Hubitat Plugin and the automation "seems faster".

Correct?

So the different piece is the "Rules Engine" being a HomeSeer event versus a "Simple Lighting" rule in Hubitat?

So even with the layer of HomeSeer -> Hubitat Plugin -> Hubitat Maker API the automation of turning on the light is faster than running native/local on Hubitat with Simple Lighting rules?

Am I following this correctly?

Yes most of that is right.

Homeseer to Hubitat for motion changes only. Homeseer talking directly to Lutron equates to faster motion lighting.

Homeseer to Hubitat for motion lighting and using Hubitats Lutron connection is slower.

Hubitat doing it all natively is slower but the same as Homeseer using Hubitats Lutron connection.

So my assumption is the lutron piece.

Now to gain some grins.

A full day of nursing a pulled back and working on Homeseer and Hubitat. I just reverted everything back to Hubitat.

I will be watching what the new Homeseer has to offer but I felt to mimic everything I have today still required Hubitat. The two main pieces I use the most are the following.

• Lutron hold down buttons
  • Alexa text to speech and contact routines
  • hsm
  • ecobee (not going to pay for a plugin when hs4 will offer it for free)

But the motion lighting sure bugs me. Why it’s slower...

I would imagine a soft reset would of reinstalled the Lutron app.

Not sure why the speed difference as both are using the same telnet integration to Lutron.

I had a similar experience with HomeSeer vs ISY during my explorations where HomeSeer Events were much faster turning on lights versus the ISY Programs turning on the same lights. I dug into it and it was a difference in how each was handling the command delay before execution. I did some tuning on the ISY and now it's just as fast if not faster on execution of programs to turn on the lights.