HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

Regarding the MyQ integration, I don't find it to be a loss.

I had the ST MyQ integration, and frankly the add on tilt sensor provides 100% of the value.

The monoprice tilt sensor integrates nicely with HE, so I know when the door is open or closed, and if I really need to know whether I closed the garage door when I'm away from home, I can install the MyQ app.

In fact, my door opener dropped off the wifi (SSID changed), and I didn't notice for months. Oops.

YMMV of course.

The benefit would be to open and close the door.

Zwave and Zigbee are mesh protocols and really benefit from having more devices to talk to. Other than my Hue lights I don't have much experience with Zigbee and how Zigbee devices perform.
Most of my devices are Zwave and I will say that you really need to plan your deployment. You mention a Zwave door sensor. A single Zwave door sensor may be OK depending on the situation, but Zwave (and Zigbee) radios are very low power, good for battery life, but not so good when you are trying to communicate very long distances. Even short distances can be troublesome depending on intervening walls and furnishings. So, plan your deployment before you buy anything.

1 Like

Yeah, thats why YMMV, i have a button in the car, and a button on the wall. I see no reason to use my HE to open the door. I suppose if you really used presence to open doors, that might be a reason, I just don't see a need for it myself. Just using HE to monitor it's status is enough for me!

Were you hoping to use Presence type activities to automatically open or close the door based on rules?

Sometimes I will have deliveries put into my garage when I’m not home. I will open the garage door remotely.

Cool. I'd use the MyIQ app for that, but now I see where your're headed.

I've seen people suggest door timeouts too...as in, if the door is open This Long, close it.

This thread might help: Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Support

I haven't read the whole thing, but there could be a way to get it working in there.

Scott

I just moved over from Homeseer to Hubitat, I loved Homeseer until the software crashed horribly on a rasperri pi when I was away for my job.

My wife just went bazonkas because it wouldn’t boot back up, by the time I got back home 10 days later she had tossed it in the trash and said I would be next if I didn’t move to something that worked, luckily my son saved it for me and when I ran some test I found the sdcard had gotten corrupted so the system wouldn’t boot.

I loved the fact that Homeseer was local I probably would have stayed there but I would have had to get one of there systems instead of doing a pi myself again but there hubs are just to damn expensive and my wife said hell no so we discussed HE and felt that HE had what we needed for the price we wanted and we needed a reliable home security system as well.

That was the real main sticking point in the end you can do a security system with Homeseer but it’s hell of hard to setup and maintain, the HSM feature in HE sold my wife on it and so far she loves it she just wants them to hurry up with the phone app.

So if I had to give advise on purchasing Homeseer or HE my advise would be save the cash and get HE, hope this helps.

2 Likes

Does your wife use iPhone? You could setup Homebridge and then she can use iOS Home app to control things. I think there’s still an issue with the HSM control, so use Virtual switches and rules for that instead.

[Edit] Just don’t set it up on a RPi, she’ll kill you! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You could have installed on your own raspberry pi, or gotten a stand alone license to run on different hardware. The SD card issue is an SD card issue and can/will happen to all Raspberry Pi based systems or embedded systems that use a low cost flash memory..... The cost is higher even for the software alone compared to Hubitat and when cost is the decision maker then it's a single direction.

It's never fun though when a hardware issue or software issue kills everything. Been there. Lesson with HS is keep a backup on a spare sdcard when using the rPi. I run my system on a standalone system.

I recently tested one of these mini PCs. Decent little PC for the price. Not too slow. Didn't work for WMC on Win10, but for running a node.js server, it would do just fine.

We just switched over to Android, man I just don’t want to go into the whole iPhone thing.

2 Likes

That’s how I had it setup on my own Pi so when I had to reset it up the wife just wasn’t having it, it took me forever to to get it even close to a redamentary sexurity system the wife wasn’t going to go through the reset up and the testing again.

Yeah, it was just a suggestion if you're already a user. Not something to pursue if you're not.

If you still have the Zee let me know if you want to sell it.

Just revisiting this.

Hubitat allows users to write their own apps and drivers. How is this different then Homeseer?

I'm not sure I follow the question.

Users can write their own apps with both systems. Albeit Hubitat is far easier to develop for. HomeSeer isn't "contained" so the apps can utilize anything the author chooses.

"Drivers" are a different matter. Hubitat has the user contributed driver capability that HomeSeer does not. So any user can write a driver interface in Groovy for a given z-wave/zigbee device that the platform may not natively support. This is a huge plus that Hubitat and SmartThings have over other systems.

With HomeSeer you have to ask and wait for a particular z-wave device to be supported. However most already are with z-wave.

There is no native ZigBee support with HomeSeer (at the moment) but there are plugins to bridge systems to provide additional protocol/device support (Hue, deCONZ, Vera, Hubitat, zigbee2mqtt, jeedom, ISY/Insteon, RFxCom, x10). HomeSeer is a modular plugin based system which is more of a "Controller of Controllers".

1 Like

That, the hub cost and a few hundred $ to me are insignificant considering how much we spend on switches/sensors/lights. Hell a google home hub is more than a hubitat hub and I have two them and there will be more on the way. My point being don't make this choice based on cost. Make it based on which system you like better.

I like the previous post that said to try both and see which one you like best for you. The one that you are happy with will be your best bet.

Yeah no kidding... I did an over haul of switches a couple months ago... expensive!!!

Oh follow up FYI - HomeSeer has the Zee S2 on sale for $99... My advice is that is fine for very small installs... be AWARE it has a 5 plugin limit!

Sure, but if both Hubitat and Homeseer serve the same purposes and reliability, why on earth would I go with Homeseer.

1 Like