Homeseer Firmware Update

Hey All,

I just installed my first Homeseer device: HS-WX300. Their web site says it can manage smart bulbs with a firmware update, but I can’t find that update anywhere. Does anyone have experience with that? I’m running a C-5 hub. Thanks!

If you get the firmware from HomeSeer, then @bcopeland had developed a z-wave firmware updater that will work on the C-5 before he became Hubitat staff.

Described here:

And available from his personal Github:

1 Like

Wow, I didn't see that HomeSeer had a firmware update for one of these--or that they finally understood users' longstanding requests for a "smart bulb mode." Guessing they finally saw some competition from Inovelli and maybe Zooz on this.

However, the only way I know of that HomeSeer has delivered firmware updates for their switches, dimmers, and sensors before is in an encrypted format designed only to be used with their proprietary firmware update software, Z-Flash (and maybe some functionality built into some "hub" offerings they have?). I doubt they will break with tradition and release a standard .GBL or other OTA file usable by other systems...though I also doubted they would release this kind of update at all, so I guess I'm not a good person to ask. :smiley:

But because of this, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you are desperate, the software isn't that expensive and can sometimes be found as part of a sale or bundle for less than normal (I got it nearly for free with their 700-series Z-Wave stick a while back, maybe a Black Friday thing a year or two ago?). I could dust mine off and check it out sometime, though it's still not clear to me from any of their posts whether it's actually been released, just that it was "coming soon" in July.

[EDIT: See below -- it's a standard GBL file, and it's been released! I'm impressed.]

Yes - that’s actually the only reason I bought the Homeseer switch. And I liked the idea of being able to see the notifications at a central location. I’m going to be disappointed if they require purchasing their software to update it as I don’t want to spend anymore money on it as it is. :grimacing:

Do you happen to know if there any other apps that allow you to activate the notifications beyond the “Switch Dashboard” app? Apparently that app does not work with this switch. Again, disappointing as that’s the whole reason I bought it. I know I can build rules out and all, but the app is so simple with my Inovelli Red Series switches.

I did reach out to tech support with Homeseer about the firmware - I’ll post an update here when I hear back from them.

Thanks!

1 Like

I appreciate your input. I have used that app before with Inovelli lights - I just haven’t seen anything on here about Homeseer. :frowning_face: I reached out to them to ask about a firmware file… we’ll see that they say!

1 Like

So I got a reply from Homeseer. I did look at their downloads page on my phone and didn't see the opportunity to download firmware. However, on my MacBook Pro I can see the firmware downloads available here (Smart Home Automation Software Downloads | HomeSeer). They are GBL files... I'm assuming that works with a C-7 hub? I have a new C-7 I plan on using to replace my C-5, but I hadn't gotten around to doing it yet. I guess now I have some motivation...

1 Like

Unfortunately, as @bertabcd1234 indicated, and their website states (see below), these are encrypted files that can be applied using their Z-Flash software .....

Just got a reply from Homeseer again with my question about using Hubitat... here's what they say:

"Matt Cave commented:

Most automation systems do not allow for firmware updates which is why there is a message regarding using HS4 or Z-Flash. If your system supports GBL files, you will be able to use the GBL file for your WX300. Note that if you run into any questions or issues with that process, you will want to reach out to Hubitat for assistance as I have not performed a firmware update for a device in that system."

1 Like

That's good news.

I think this should also work on the C-5 with the binary z-wave firmware updater from @bcopeland.

Perfect! I missed that and was thinking GBL files were only for the C-7. I'll get on that and let you all know how it goes.

1 Like

From the original thread for @bcopeland's firmware updater tool:

Here's the GitHub link to the binary updater:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveBinaryUpdater.groovy

1 Like

Well, I'll be. The update is a standard .GBL file, which I was able to apply using Hubitat, and it's available for download in their website (above). I'm not sure how HomeSeer's "smart bulb mode" is supposed to work, but I'll look that up later. I'm just in shock that they finally listened. :slight_smile: (And that the updates aren't encrypted!)

3 Likes

So I was able to run the update using my C-5 hub, but the status seems to be stuck on " Complete device is flashing". Any suggestions on how to get it off of that?

With the driver-based updater, I think that just means it's done.

1 Like

I also think that means it is done. I cannot recall if it has a cleanup button? But you should be able to switch back to the normal driver and see if the device responds, may need to press configure.

If there is any leftover states or junk from the firmware driver you can switch to type "Device" and it has some clean up button to delete junk.

1 Like

Hmm… I switched to the Homeseer driver, and it still showed the status. I also tried hitting configure with no luck. I finally decided to restart the hub, and that status disappeared, but it still says I’m on firmware 1.13 instead of 1.13.6 (I believe).

I’ll try your suggestion here when I get home tonight. The device works, responds, and even flashed on and off during the update process last night.

The cleanup on the "Device" driver wont fix the firmware version, but POSSIBLY if you press "Get Info" with that driver it might check the version, I cannot recall if it does or not.

What is probably happening, is the firmware is updated but the driver you are using is not requesting the version info from the device. If the driver has a Refresh or Initialize buttons that may force it to check the version.

Also, the new feature is probably a parameter setting, and the driver you use probably does not have support for it. So you may need to use something like the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" (custom example driver that Hubitat posted a while back) to manually set the parameter.

I was on 1.12 before, which is what mine came from the factory with when it was new. My current version reports as 1.13, which I believe is current. I don't think Z-Wave has the ability to report three sets of version numbers. HomeSeer's parameter documentation (they added a couple more in this update too, it seems) also only mention 1.12 and 1.13.

So...probably all good. :slight_smile:

Duh good point, yes the ZWave firmware reports only have version and subversion, there is no third level. Knowing that they really should have just called it 1.14

I think this might be common practice internally; they could have tested 1.13.1, 13.1.2, and so on before releasing the final 1.13.6 for public use. This is how it's worked with a vendor I beta tested (private) firmware for recently. I know other vendors also just increase the subversion for all betas, too (presumably why their firmware version history isn't all sequential numbers). In either case, it's normally not confusing since by the time it goes public, there's only one version/subversion to worry about.

As far as I can tell, they've also only said "1.13" publicly (that's how it's listed on the download page and docs), so anything more is probably us just inferring things from filenames. :smiley: