Homemade Zigbee Environment sensor with Power outage and Hardwire Smoke detector

Here is my first stab at a extender for a smoke detector. My printer is too small to print on one, so I broke it up in 4 chunks; also little waste this way. I’m on 3 of 4 pieces now, but will post update when complete and tested and provide chunked version. The board protector 3D print is here.

3 Likes

Fitting looks good; on my first try even. You’ll need some short screws and nuts to add to support the ring for your detector. I haven’t powered it on; need some time when I can cut power to test. Looks a bit awkward, so put it in a room out of the way I guess. Also could smooth out the circle but I assumed it would take longer to print with less angles.

image image image image image image

4 Likes

Nicely done. My printer is also too small for the one I designed so I didn't print it yet.

Wired in tonight with no issues. I’ll clean up the tinkercad files, slice them, and post them on thingiverse.

3 Likes

To detect power failure, does it just need a battery? No resistors like your other module? Will this detect outages better/quicker than the other module since this is powered off mains or would it be essentially the same as the other since this has an onboard power supply? Thanks!

1 Like

Here are the files I used and links to Tinkercad in case you want to improve it. I've not printed the v4 but it's a bit rounder (more sides) if you don't like the boxy-er look in the pics.

1 Like

Hi Brian, yes. It just need battery. The circuit to detect power outage in the board.

The power outage detection is actually slower. It is due to capacitance on the line. When the power from AC is out, there is still residual power in the circuit from the capacitor.

Thank you for sharing the cases. They look amazing.:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

So I finally got mine temporarily up to test it out. Some things I noticed were that when using the test button on my smoke alarms it also briefly seemed to trigger the carbon monoxide indicator as well. If I kept the test button held down it would only seem to trigger the carbon detection for a brief second though.

Another thing that I think could be helpful would be some kind of inclusion on the board for attaching a light pipe to the LUX sensor so it can be extended out of any enclosure its it.

3 Likes

Late to the party. Would really like to try this out. It would be great if we can add the natural gas sensor as well. Thanks

1 Like

Great project.
Count me in to the group Iman, if you have any left