Homekit

yes

Nevermind. I have decided to send thing thing back. Its way too crude for me to use everyday. Think I will stick with Wink till something better comes along. Thanks for the help.

Just remember, in 2 hours you got more than 18 responses of people trying to assist.

7 Likes

Range is bad. App is horrible. none of the modes are working right. This thing is crap.

I think you're right. :slight_smile:

Wink is your best hope.

8 Likes

WOW you are right... you don't need hubitat. The hub is only as good as the owner is....

2 Likes

Lol!

To each their own.

With no real expectation of being paid. I think most of us just like to be helpful here.

I hope Will.i.am is just as easy to reach out to after Wink finally folds.

6 Likes

LMAO... sorry but we all know he doesn't care and Wink is the real pile of crap hub not Hubitat.

1 Like

Hubitat is only as good as the person who is using it... Thank's for clearing that up.

Enjoy all the benefits that your dying platform has to offer. Whatever those are. ROFLMAO

2 Likes

Sorry just pissed I wasted a day on this just to have to go back where I started.
Seriously thanks for the help but this thing obviously needs someone who can code to work out all the bugs. I would give it another day but the range was so poor it would not reach the bulbs on the other side of the house. Troubleshooting would not fix the hardware issue.
I know wink is dying thats why I tried Hubitat but its not a replacement for the average person. I consider myself above average, I have setup a server and have taken some computer classes for the A+ certification.

What do you recommend for someone who wants a HomeKit compatable Hub that will connect with a bunch of different of Ziggby bulbs. (Hue hub won't ).

Top it all off Hubitat makes you pay postage to return their hub. Dont even send you a return label so you don't get their shipping rate which is 1/2 of normal rate.

@jj11

Hubitat takes a little while to setup. I moved to Hubitat from Wink exactly a year ago. Before making the move, I took the time to identify potential issues by posing questions on this forum (I think I joined on March 1, 2019). There were a couple documents pointed out to me that were especially useful, so I have linked them below:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

FWIW, my actual move from Wink to Hubitat took a couple days. And I cannot imagine moving back. Your perception that ones needs to learn to "code" to use Hubitat is incorrect. The vast majority of Hubitat users make do with the built-in apps (Simple Lighting, Motion Lighting, Rule Machine). I will also add that Homebridge is not difficult to setup, if you've setup an RPi before.

3 Likes

The Philips Hue bridge does expose all genuine Philips Hue Zigbee bulbs to HomeKit, as long as you’re using a recent model of the Hue bridge. It will not share non-Philips devices to HomeKit, though.

HomeKit is pretty much a closed system, requiring quite a bit of custom stuff (i.e. HomeBridge) to trick it into allowing non-HomeKit stuff to work with it.

Lutron Caseta’s SmartBridge Pro2 exposes all Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, and fan controllers to HomeKit.

If HomeKit is what you’re really after, I’d go with a Philips Hue + Lutron Caseta + Apple TV 4 setup. Not cheap, but should be very reliable and supported for a very long time.

2 Likes

but i have a ton of generic bulbs i cant afford to replace.

Then your cheapest option would be to purchase a Raspberry PI (about $40). Download a HOOBS image for free and set it up on the RPi.

Here's a full list of HomeKit-compatible accessories:

2 Likes

What brand of bulbs? Does their manufacturer have a hub that exposes them to HomeKit? That’s a possibility, but not likely...

The Home Automation hobby is not really “cheap”, especially if you want to play in the official Apple HomeKit ecosystem.

Cheap = putting in the effort to make inexpensive things work with HomeKit. This includes running an always on HomeBridge server.

Expensive = things just work as you’d hope with HomeKit, as the devices are designed specifically for HomeKit.

3 Likes

Homekit can do automations. Limited but possibly a better fit for you ?

Thanks

I tried bulbs that were HomeKit but found they really did not work well over distances.
Determined I need a hub System. I have read how to setup a good mesh system and it still does not work. Old house thick walls. It was a mess when on timers. 1/2 would not come on. I just hope someone buys wink at this point. As much as I dislike the system, it reaches all my lights inside and out.