Homekit integration when already using Homebridge

I would like to use the new Homekit integration, but I am already using Homebridge. What steps will I have to undertake to remove Homebridge and use the new integration. I was very lucky to get the Homebridge working in the first place and I do not wnat to screw anything up.

First, if it's working well for you, there's no reason to change. There are some differences, so I'd read posts here and the docs for more if you haven't already.

If you do want to, it's a manual process: add the devices from Hubitat via the new integration, swap the old ones out with the new ones in any HomeKit automations you may have set up, and remove the old "bridge" and it's devices. If you don't have any automations, you can obviously skip that middle step, and it may be easier to remove the old devices first to avoid duplicate names and any resulting confusion.

Thanks for the info. I will investigate this further. I have my Unifi Protect camera plugin on the Homebridge to display the cameras on the Apple TV. Will this still work with the HE Homekit integration? I know, I am a bit confused but that's how I roll.

You will want to keep Homebridge for certain devices excluded from the official integration (due to Apples certification rules).

You can run both bridges at the same time, the Homebridge bridge, and the Hubitat bridge.

Right now, I setup a second "Home" on homekit and then shared the Integration to that home to try it out. Once I am satisfied with it, I will remove the bridge from there and the Test Home and then share the bridge to my original home. Will have to go through and move all the new devices into the correct rooms, and then remove them from Homebridge to get rid of the duplicates. I will run both bridge concurrently since I have some other plugins setup on Homebridge and my Garage Door is shared through there as well.

1 Like

No. This gets Hubitat devices into HomeKit. It will not get HomeKit (or HomeBridge) devices into Hubitat, which it sounds like you're asking about.

But, as mentioned above, you can run both (you just probably don't want the same device exposed multiple ways to avoid confusion).

Thanks Guys, I do believe you have given me enough info to get this going.

@davidcwright59 a cool solution for testing Hubitat HomeKit integration is to create a new Home within HomeKit / HomeApp. In the "Test Home" you can add a new accessory and use the 3D bar code from the Hubitiat HomeKit app. This will still allow you to have the normal / production home controlled by HomeBridge and Hubitat Integration. This will allow you to play with all different export types of your devices to see how they interact and behave in HomeKit and again not affecting any of the layout and design of the production real home.

Sounds very interesting. I will give that a try. Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.