Homebridge Plug-in

Thanks....it looks like the "/" at the end was missing.....let me go hit my head on the wall......

Thanks!! It's working now.

1 Like

I finally updated the main post with a more detailed list of features

If I’m not mistaken, yes. I did try with the http:// earlier on and that didn’t work. Once I slapped in the ‘/‘, everything worked like magic.

You must not have used the view config to get the data

it does not happen every time. but when I restart the Raspberry, my homebridge is displayed in the HOME application but not the accessories. here is what appears in the log when the homebridge opens but not the accessories

I found the problem.

By installing the homebridge restart in systemmd, he installed the homebridge without any problem. When homebridge was trying to install the plugins, sometimes the network connection was not established yet. So he could not connect to the hubs to load the accessories.
I saw the homebridge connect in the app but all my accessories had been removed.

I made a crontab to start homebridge and I start it after a delay of 15 seconds. No error after 60 reboot.

I recently made the transition from SmartThings to hubitat. My goal is to use the Home app on my iPhone to control my devices. It’s working so far, but I’m a little confused about the Hubitat Safety Monitor accessory that had been added to my Home app. If I don’t plan on using the Hubitat Safety Monitor app in hubitat, does using this accessory in the Home app do anything? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just trying to see how best to use what I have available to me.

No. It just changes modes. You would decide what happens by assigning rules to the modes. If you don't want to use it, it can just be ignored.

I found an issue on my own end where my docker container was randomly dropping offline. I believe this may have caused issues with home bridge that may have effected the HE environment causing it to slow down (significantly) and ultimately stop running automations where the trigger occurred based on the time of day (or sunrise/sunset).

Question: Am I the only person experiencing an issue with homebridge HE plugin that causes slow downs and missed automations?

I ask because I am leary of jumping back into this if others have this issue, but perhaps by own container issues (going offline) were causing this.****

I can’t comment on an install to Docker container, but you are not the first person I’ve read about having issues with Homebridge in a Docker. Why not just run it on a RPi? Cost is very minimal to get started and setup is very straightforward. I’ve switched back to Mac for convenience, but I was running it on a RPi Zero W, and it worked almost as well. It was a little slower when my Insteon plugin was loaded, but with the Hubitat plugin alone, I couldn’t tell the difference.

Are you talking specifically about the HE plugin or just docker in general. Either way, please elaborate.

I am fairly certain I resolved my docker issue as I have had no issues in over a week with homebridge.

I have no issues with going to rPI but would prefer not to just because I think I’ve fixed my issue.

Again, can't comment on a docker container, becuase I'm not running one. But you say you found an issue with the docker randomly dropping off-line, others have said they were having issues with homebridge in the docker container. Maybe the homebridge issue in the docker container was actually a docker container issue as you found, and not specifically a "homebridge in docker container issue" to quote myself.

Probably, we're not understanding each other :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When you wrote...

Do you mean HomeKit automations, or HE automations? I have no missed HE automations

However, I am running the homebridge HE plugin to "try to" consistently sync Insteon (via an Insteon homebridge plugin) with HE. I have an issue where an insteon device that is manually turned on, does not always turn on the HE virtual switch that is published to HomeKit by the homebridge HE plugin. But this appears to be a HomeKit automation issue, not a homebridge HE plugin issue. The reason I suspect HomeKit, is that if I control an iDevices outlet (which is HomeKit compatible) from a Xiaomi button via the homebridge HE plugin, it will always stay in sync. But if I control the outlet from the iDevices app, it will sometimes stay in sync with the button, and sometimes will not.

This could be an issue with the homebridge HE plugin, but there are many reports online about HomeKit automations failing on occasion.

When I first got my Hubitat Elevation hub, I was trying a lot of different software. I actually got the SmartThings Homebridge solution working (a major hack!) on Hubitat before @tonesto7's much more refined and robust solution. I was also trying to get webCoRE to run on Hubitat back in the early days. During this timeframe, I did notice some slower performance than what I had initially seen with Hubitat. In order to troubleshoot, I removed webCoRE and the Homebridge integration (which I believe was an early version of @tonesto7's by that time...) Afterwards, my Hubitat system's performance went back to its normal, snappy self.

I can't say for sure which app(s) were causing the problem for certain, but I do believe the Homebridge app was a contributing factor. When I first was messing around with my initial port, I tried adding everything to it at once. The Hubitat hub was definitely slower afterwards. I recall reducing the number of devices down to just a few and the performance got better.

Now that Hubitat has the Dashboard, I have chosen to not use Homebridge, as I have no other Homekit enabled devices. I was initially just trying to use Homekit as a UI on my phone.

Hope you figure out the source of your slow downs.

Amazing. My experience echo's @ogiewon almost word for word! I had Homebridge working with SmartThings and at least initially didn't need it on Hubitat so my first use was via @tonesto7 first "gift" of code. That minor detail is all that differs however!

Just a few minutes ago I reinstalled @tonesto7 Homebridge and selected about half my devices (no sensors, all the switches/lights) and I'll see if Hubitat is impacted. I'm not sure why I'm drawn to Homebridge/HomeKit because the Dashboard is functional. I think it has to do with "selling" my home automation to friends and family. Home (the IOS app) is "prettier" than Dashboard.

3 Likes

I've taken the plunge as well and re-installed @tonesto7 code for homebridge.

1 Like

I’ve been running it from the beginning, updating as needed going along and it’s working flawlessly for me. I certainly stress my hub quite a bit with development work and it’s never caused the hub to slow down.

You need to make sure homebridge and the apps you have installed with it are kept up to date.

It’s literally the only thing my wife will use. Lol.

3 Likes

So after a weekend I (think) I have had success. Saturday night we had a big rain storm which knocked out power so some automations did not fire Sunday Morning, but I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

@tonesto7 my curtains still cannot be selected as curtains only switches or dimmers.

Are you using a custom device driver or builtin for the curtains?
I need to make sure i'm using the correct input type in the app.

Built in

So here is an overall update on HE and Homebridge from my experimenting.

I have Homebridge installed on a docker with the following plugins:

1. Nest;
  2. Netatmo;
  3. FFMPEG; and
  4. HE

HE has two devices added: (i) one dimmer switch and; (ii) one contact sensor.

Siri responsiveness and the Home app responsiveness are very snappy and updates are instant (just like Alexa).

But...

after about 36 hours automations within HE begin failing. These automations all have a single thing in common in that the automation is triggered by time. Examples include, but are not limited to:

1. Good morning which changes the home from 'Night' to day mode at 7am every day;
  2. Outside Lights which turns on 5 Z-Wave switches (none of which are on home kit) at 60 minutes prior to Sunset;
  3. Simple Lighting apps that rely on motion (or contact sensors) will turn on a switch when motion (contact) happens but will not turn off the switch after X number of minutes.

Rebooting the hub fixes all of this.

So... possible work arounds.

1. The ability to auto-reboot the hub (which is not ideal).

2. @tonesto7 involving HE support and 'WE' work through the issue.

The worst part of all of this is that because automations are not firing, I can't post logs because no automation fires. I can only show a log at 7:00 a.m. that shows 'Good Morning' did not run.

Please feel free to ask any questions