Home Made Door Bell?

Hi all,

thanks to the great support here I have purchased a HE and looking to get started with some home automation.

I can't see that there are currently any good support for HE and doorbells, but I'm wondering if anyone has the logic to determine if the following is possible.

a pushbutton attached to door and motion sensor that once motion is detected and the button is pressed a command gets sent to google home that broadcasts a message e.g. 'someone is at the door' to all Google home devices.

I would like a 'smart' doorbell but have no real need for a video doorbell and the current doorbells I can buy have to have a plugin a attachment to be able to reach the whole house.

Easy. This idea could be dealt with in a rule. I currently have motion triggering TTS on a google home only when HSM is active which is the same level of complication as the doorbell.

I've used a "Flic" and its Hub, that I had laying around, with maker API and assistance from @jason-lane and this post..

If you have a solenoid doorbell you can do what I did which is just stick a multi sensor in the doorbell housing. The vibration is enough to trigger the multi.

I have a rule that announces the bell on all Sonos if I'm home. If I'm not home, dogs bark on the Sonos and I get a notification that someone rang the doorbell.

@greg @njanda @braetonpearson1 the responses are great. Having not got my HE yet (it's still in the post) most of what you're saying makes no sense. I'll call up on you when it arrives and i've had a play.

1 Like

If you have a solenoid doorbell you can do what I did which is just stick a multi sensor in the doorbell housing. The vibration is enough to trigger the multi.

YMMV on this solution as it does tend to trigger when the dog barks and when someone goes up or down the stairs quickly at my house.

I actually did this exact thing when I bought my house. Didn't have a doorbell! But we still wanted a doorbell button.

So, I bought a cheap ($1) doorbell (make sure to get one that doesn't have a light or resistor in it), unscrewed the back, used an Ecolink Z-Wave contact sensor, and ran some wire between the terminals on the doorbell and the contact sensor's external pins.

A rule of:
If Motion Detected & Contact Closed then send event should accomplish what you're looking for.

I actually just received a notification that the postal carrier rang the doorbell.

1 Like

Right, as I mentioned I did put a mode restriction for when nobody is home for the dogs. But you are right once in a blue moon someone will drop something or bodyslam someone and the doorbell announcement via Sonos will happen when we are home.

If you play around with placement of the multi you can find a sweet spot.