Home hub for lan devices only

I will check if the radios are disabled or not. I don't remember. Either way, It's not worth worrying about even if there is a hardware issue or OS glitch. I am guessing that may be the issue though. Thanks

[update] Just confirmed, yes they are disabled. Still, not worth it. It works fine with radio plugged in, and disabled, so I will just leave it this way. Some day, if it does die, I will deal with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have RV parking on my property. I have it on shore power when not in use, and I do not have it yet, but I will be using a WiFi solution to link my MoHo to home, and any park and other public WiFi hotspots and use cell phone tethering on my unlimited plan when I don't have WiFi. I will also be installing a 5G/LTE cell booster so I can get better signals and faster throughput in areas where I have weak, or no signal now. I like the MQTT logic. Although I don't have a static IP, I do have a public IP so I have several things that route inbound into my home based on dynamic DNS hosting of my IP address, so that would work well enough for me too.

yeah, based on the above photo, I went searching, and I can definitely do this for far less than any solution out there now. I guess I have a new project now. thanks!

2 Likes

I believe someone has already released an app to use MQTT with Hubitat
So with a C5/7 in the Moho, along with some internet, you could easily replicate what I have done with a node-red Pi at home via MQTT

The shelly uni's are cheap and work really well although they can be a little inaccurate.
In my HE driver, I added a little 'adjustment' setting to get them a bit more accurate.
The contacts/leak sensors etc are just standard stuff connected to the HE hub

I use a couple of the Shelly 1 devices as they work on 12v
This is so I can control my on-board Pi which I use with 'Anydesk' for remote control for when I want to update HE with a new version of my app ore review anything
I turn the Pi off if not being used

Send me a PM if you need any help

2 Likes

This is a concept that I am struggling to understand. Can you expand on how and why you do this?

I actually have 3 hubs β€” one is t for my RV, but it has never left the test hub stage…

One hub I use for only z-wave and zigbee devices and for rules that use those devices. This is my main hub, and also manages my security and modes. The only integrations I have are Alexa, SharpTools.io, and IFTTT.

My second hub has my Roku TVs and media streamers, Bond hub, Hue hub, Life 360, iopool monitor, Kevo Plus, Orbit B-hyve, Unnofficial Ring Connect, Solar Integration Graphs, Hubigraph, and various built-in rules that don’t need to be on the main hub.

Both hubs have the Maker-API for direct access from 3rd party integration via the REST API it provides.

The purpose here is that many of us have noticed that the hub appears to have a single threaded event bus (queue). This means that really chatty LAN operations can interfere with z-wave and zigbee device performance. We don’t know exactly how the events are managed, but we have noticed a general slow down, and apparent increase in lag between events and reactions to those events. By moving the LAN connected services over to their own hub, the LAN devices cannot interfere with the performance of the zigbee and z-wave devices. It has helped us tremendously in keeping our systems efficient while adding more complexity.

3 Likes