HIOME- Different Take on Occupancy

I just read an interesting article on this device. I'm curious to see how well it works if/when it gets up and running on Homekit and Smartthings. I wish it was wireless but I guess you can't have everything.

Article

Hiome website

3 Likes

From their site:

We took a simple idea and engineered the shit out of it

LMAO

However, looking at the site, it looks like MQTT support is coming with it. That's an interesting prospect.

2 Likes

Apparently they like Lutron too...(from their video)

2 Likes

It's interesting. There are some cool things that would be possible with that, but their video really lacks imagination. The 30-60 seconds you could time out your lights in a bathroom with a regular motion sensor does not justify the cost of this. I feel for startups that launch on the wrong premise, and fail to give themselves a fighting chance.

1 Like

The real benefit of this isn't limited to turning lights on/off. It can tell how many people are in a room even if they aren't moving. This could open up more sophisticated automations. Of course it's all theoretical until people start using it.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. That's why it is so frustrating to watch them basically fail in their promotional video that only shows what is already simple to do, not the potential to do what no one else can do right now.

2 Likes

Huh that's pretty smart.
Simple, but smart.

Like a turnstyle at an event.
Without awkwardly pouring through a stainless steel child clothesliner.

Is that what those things are for?! LOL

1 Like

Interesting idea, though as a Hubitat user I would prefer Zigbee or Z-Wave. It's quite thoughtful of them to include MQTT and (not sure how) SmartThings support, but it requires their hub, and the hub plus one sensor is $159. Adding another sensor costs $79, and you still need their hub. MQTT could let you integrate with Hubitat via a community app, but a motion sensor plus a timeout is certainly cheaper and almost as good in most cases, and that can work entirely on Hubitat, so I don't see myself trying this any time soon.

In related news, the article says:

Unlike Z-Wave or ZigBee smart home devices, these occupancy sensors require a wired power source.

Funny, all these mains-powered Z-Wave and Zigbee devices I'm using must be a figment of my imagination. (In other words, using a power source does not preclude the use of these protocols, nor is the inclusion of a power-hungry sensor a reason to avoid them.)

1 Like

Probably LAN to hub integration, like Phillips and Lutron.

This does look like a turn style. I wonder what happens if the room has two or more entrances/exits.

Interesting product but the form factor is awful and the corded design if far from optimal for a product that needs to be mounted at the top of a door frame. And they're not gonna capture a whole lot of OCD fans with their "Simple to install" video. They started losing me at the "Place sensor" step and I was in full cringe mode at the "Apply Gaffer Tape" step