Hi All!

My name is Andrew...and I just ordered the HE and 5 Zooz devices to start with. I have had Harmony and Alexa setup for a bit and have dabbled in bits of home automation for a few years. This will be my first time working with a hub or any higher level of control. I have already found a ton of useful information from this community!

6 Likes

Welcome! Don't hesitate to ask questions as you move forward.

2 Likes

Welcome to Hubitat! Feel free to ask questions during your journey down the home automation rabbit hole with the rest of us! :wink:

1 Like

I have found out pretty quick that it is a pretty big rabbit hole!!

Keep your bottle of "Drink Me Potion" filled so you can fit through all the doorways that will be opening for you.

2 Likes

For the Harmony Hub, you can try using my recent integration which avoids using the cloud for anything.

For Amazon Alexa, make sure your Hubitat Hub is registered properly at https://portal.hubitat.com. Then, using the Alexa App on your phone, Enable the Hubitat Skill. This will cause an App named Amazon Echo Skill to be installed on your Hubitat Hub. Using this app, you will be able to expose your choice of Hubitat devices to Alexa (e.g. your 5 Zooz devices.)

1 Like

Welcome. Hopefully at least some of your Zooz devices are mains powered. If not, depending on placement and home size you could have issues with signal penetration. If all devices will be near the hub, you shouldn't have any problem.
PS-be careful, while loads of fun, HA can be somewhat habit forming...

1 Like

What does mains powered mean?

Powered from the physical house electrical system/wiring - aka not battery powered.

1 Like

"mains" is not so commonly used in the US... but overseas in UK/Europe that's common terminology for anything powered from the electrical grid/house wiring. IE: Plugged into an electrical outlet rather than battery powered.

1 Like

Yes it all is! Thanks for the tip!

I also am a small installer and huge fan of Ubiquiti Unifi gear and have my VPN all set up for remote dashboard access.

There are many of us on here that use UniFi, including me. I can't say I'm a huge fan, but it works OK - at least the APs. The switches have various issues. And the USG is a piece of crap. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Andrew .. Rest up .. you'll need it. there is a ton of help here in the community. Reach out often. Start with items close to your hub and work outward is a good practice to start things out.
And - Welcome to Hubitat. To name a few: stage left we have @bravenel he's the rule machine master. @bobbyD & @Cobra (among others) are in the support corner and they know their %^&*. There are a few others behind the scenes. I've not met them all. Then there's @ogiewon and @stephack - There are no words. Just nod. I'm positive I've forgotten someone that's either way cool or way smart, but this was just meant to be a quick welcome. But you'll meet them all as you FALLLLLLLLLL in. Good luck!

3 Likes

I know people that definitely feel the same way. I haven't had any issues (knock on wood) with any of their gear. I have several sites running just fine but I do not install a bunch nor do I do any business installs, just residential sites.

LOL. Your username is a warning sign. My advice, don't. It's all very logical :grin:

3 Likes

My devices are starting to show up. I have had the hub connected and have been playing with Harmony integration for a bit. Today my first switches and smart plug showed up. I went with Zooz because of their 3 way wire ability without needing a remote switch on the other end. So far everything is working out of the box after discovery. This could get expensive...:joy::wink:

2 Likes

And so it begins. Enjoy.

1 Like