Help with simple complex Rule!

Hi all,

I am coming from SmartThings and I am spoiled by all the ready apps ad WeCore. So please take me with a grain of salt.

Yesterday and this morning, I was fighting with Hibitat Simple Light Rules and Rule Machine.
My goal:
Take a physical GE Zwave gen 1 switch and have it trigger a Creep Connected bulb in a hanging table fixture.

I set up the rule in simple lighting app and had set the bulb turn on when triggered by Kitchen main switch ON action.

Nothing happened. What gives?
I also tried to o set up a Rule Machine rule and still couldn't get it right.

Please help. I am about to give in. I am spoiled by the ease of use and reseno stability of SmartThings. And yes I was not migrated yet to the new Samsung SmartThings platform. Please tell me what I am missing to get this thing going.

There is a good possibility that your GE Z-Wave gen 1 switch does not report being turned on. In ST they poll every z-wave device every 10 seconds, so in ST it would discover it was turned on and then fire your piston.

This is not the way Hubitat works, although you can make it work that way if you need it to. Create a Rule Machine trigger with event type Periodic. Set the period to be every 10 or 20 seconds or something, and make the action to be to poll your GE switch. Then either Simple Lighting or Rule Machine would work as you expect.

There are a number of threads in the community about this subject: Physical Events Not Logging Consistently

1 Like

Sorry for the incorrect info. The Switch is Zooz gen 1.
And it does work on its own. I tested turning ON a virtual switch and it changed state correctly.
The problem may be with the Cree bulb. I set up two rules one to turn ON/OFF the Virtual switch when the Kitchen Main is turned ON/OFF (works correctly).
Second turns ON/OFF the Kitchen Table Cree bulb when the Virtual Switch is ON/OFF (did not work).
Virtual Switch (ON), Kitchen Tabble (OFF).

Deffinatly missing something.

Can you tell me correct way to setup a rule?
Both of these devices are being identified as generic devices during inrollment.

You could always try this...

(It only works for on/off though... no dimming)

Andy

I'm not following the details you've described. Here is what I think you are trying to do:

When Kitchen Main is turned on/off, you want Kitchen Table Cree to turn on and off also, correct?

If so, you don't need a virtual switch to accomplish this. The rule is as follows:

Condition: Kitchen Main on
Rule: Kitchen Main on
Action for True: Kitchen Table Cree on
Action for False: Kitchen Table Cree off

That's it. When you turn on the Kitchen Main, the rule becomes true, and that causes the Kitchen Table Cree to turn on. When you turn off the Kitchen Main, the rule becomes false, and that causes the Kitchen Table Cree to turn off.

If that's not what you want, let me know. Also, you can turn on live Logs, and see all of this happen in the logs. The rule will log when it becomes true and when it becomes false. So you can see if it is working correctly or not.

1 Like

I will try that tomorrow.

Also, thanks @Cobra. If what @bravenel doesn't work, I will definitely try all of your recommendation.

I have to relearn some things.

Now I am missing WebCore.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.