Help With RM and Lutron Automation

Hey success, also figured out where the "digital" came from. When creating the trigger event I selected Digital Switch, I guess conflating that with virtual switch. I changed it just Switch as you said and it works fine now. I wonder though what the purpose of that distinction would be for.

1 Like

Yeah I suspected that was the issue. Some physical switch drivers will tell you whether the switch was turned on by automation within HE ("digital") or externally ("physical"). But for what you need just "switch" is sufficient.

2 Likes

Gotcha, hey thanks for the assist sir, appreciate it.

No problem. Good luck getting the kids to school on time.

Yeah thanks, maybe a siren in the bedroom next.

I use Echo Speaks and I blast Reveille through all the echos on the 2nd floor. It's quite effective.

2 Likes

Oh jeez, I think I'd have a manchurian candidate moment if someone did that to me. Some things are engrained forever.

Little bit of extra info should it be helpful for anyone in the future. I had a problem where the 1s shutoff of the virtual switch was actually killing the rule after it started. So I turned this off, which in turn caused another problem wherein after the rule ran to completion the first time, it wouldn't run a subsequent time because the virtual switch was still in the on position.

To resolve this I set the shutoff time on the virtual switch to the max of 5 seconds and the interval time on the rule to 3 seconds. Giving it enough time to run the first instance of commands before the switch shutoff. It then continues with the rest of the process for some reason, even though the switch is off. Can't say I fully understand why, but it's working now. Voice command included.

That seems odd... once the event (switch turning on) triggers the rule the position of the switch should have no effect at all. You just need the auto off to prevent the subsequent run issue.

That was my thought as well, nevertheless it was. I verified the trigger was set only to the virtual switch turning on as well. Without an action assigned to it, I would think turning it off would do absolutely nothing.

1 Like

It would be more fun to teach the dogs to jump up and down on them in the bed, or just whip out the giant super soaker

1 Like