Help with notifications of all lights on

Hey,

New user here trying to get some rules defined, and never done it in this detailed before. Here's what I got and what I'd like to happen. My area experiences a lot of power surges, when power comes on, all my lights turn on, to 100%, not even at last used dimmed level. I'd like to be notified when this happens so I can go into the app to turn them off. I'm sure I could automate this to turn them off, with exceptions to lights I always leave on, but here's why I want the notification. My pool's control panel turns off the "filter" relay when it loses power and keeps it off and you have to go out and physically hit the "filter" button to have the pump run. When I am out of town, obviously I can't just see that my lights are all on when I finally get home. In this instance I would need to notify a friend who can hit the button to turn the pump back on.

So I'd like a rule to turn off all lights, with exceptions, and to send me a text that power surged. Can this be done? Thanks in advance for all help!

Is your hub on a UPS?

If your not using a UPS you could use systemstart under location in rule machine as trigger to turn off the lights.

3 Likes

Just off the top of my head, if you had a rule that said (not actual code here)

IF bulbs A,B,C,X,Y,Z ALL on 100%
THEN notify eilatan99 via text.

You could even add a "turn off" line in there so that would be handled automatically.

The other way that you might consider, if it is more of an outage rather than just a blip is to use a dedicated power monitoring device. There are a couple good threads on here about this, but it sounds like you are having more of a short rather than long term outage.

That is a terrific point, your hub won't appreciate these surges, and it might cause issues, especially with the database.

2 Likes

There is no " I have just been powered up" state BUT I have just had a brain wave while reading you're post. IF your lamps are RGBW and they are not ZigBee 3.0 (3.0 seem to act differently) then there is usually a default "power up" Kelvin and level. So if you know that and DON'T use it ever, you could in theory have a rule that when light is ON and this Kelvin and this level send notification. Never tried it as literally just thought of it but worth ago.

3 Likes

Or this, combined with the Kelvin as just the level could happen under normal circumstances.

All this is assuming that your hub is on a UPS.

3 Likes

I'm going to be hooking up one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Battery-Protector-Back-UPS-BE600M1/dp/B01FWAZEIU/ref=sr_1_2

For my router, hubitat and HOOBS. The size was good for this for my situation maybe yours too.

1 Like

My bulbs are hue white and GE. Some I never use 100, but I can live with the fact that they come back at 100 cause I can tell alexa to lower or use the app.

No I don't have a UPS at the moment. I know. These surges affect the whole house are are usually 1-2 seconds long. But we do lose power for longer periods during storms.

The notifications are mainly so I know while I'm working out of town that the pool's filter was turned off when the control panel lost power. I'd love to automate the panel, but that's looking at around 1,500.

I created a notification and ran it, and I got the text message, so maybe I was able to figure it out. Though the one I had done a week ago, I didn't get the text when the power went out a little while ago. So who knows.

Thanks for the link. I had a UPS several years ago, just kinda died and never replaced it.

Got the UPS ordered. Points paid $41 worth. Yea!

I'll go back into the rule I created to see where I messed up and see if I can add the turn off portion.

Lots of good info in here:

2 Likes

I did a 2nd action to run using the "start lowering dimmer".

Yeah, that thread is a little beyond what I understand.

omg, thank you so much for this. i wondered if this was possible and am so glad that it is

1 Like

How about getting one of these guys to turn on your pool filter?

https://www.switch-bot.com/products/switchbot-bot

1 Like

Well, my rule works, too well, as I"m getting texts every time any light turns on. What I wanted to do was send a text when ALL lights come on. I can't find that option when making the rule. I have it set up as a switch, then I pick the switches (light groups) and I guess that's where I'm not finding the ALL on part.

Interesting little device. Not a lot of info in their FAQs. I see there's a hub too. Does this device have to use bluetooth to talk to either the app on your phone or the hub?

Create a group with all the lights, and only turn on that group when ALL the lights are on. Then create a rule to notify you when this group is on

2 Likes

Well that might just do it. Thank you.

And thank you to everyone else that offered great advice!

1 Like

You are right, their website is a little light on details. It is a BLE device, but if you add their hub, then you can control it via IFTT, Google or Alexa. Not ideal, but at least you could flip a switch remotely.

1 Like

That would be a very cool solution. Seems that I'd need to have the bot and hub close to each other and the hub would need wifi access, correct? That might be kind hard with the control panel being far out in the yard, but I'm looking into extending my wifi range to reach that area.

1 Like