Help with crazy Zooz Dimmer + Dumb Outlet + RGBGenie

I have a legacy setup in my house.... Originally dumb Switch controlled power to a dumb outlet that provided power to a 12v transfomer for a strip of LEDs.

The Switch was then upgraded to a Dimmable Zooz Zwave switch, and the transformer (still dumb) was updated to allow dimming.

Now the Zooz dimmer has an RGBGenie 1008 plugged into the outlet.

Can the dimmer be used to "dim" the RGBGenie? And if so, I'm assuming Rule Machine... but how do I go about setting that up?

Putting a dimmer on an outlet probably is a violation of electrical code and dangerous if anything was plugged in there that does not play nice with being "dimmed".

Besides that. is the switch and RGBGenie paired with the same security? Associations might be the best way to do it. Group 3 on the Zooz dimmer should send multilevel (dimming) commands to the DNI you set. You will also want to set param #15 to disable physical control or physical and ZWave so that the switch no longer is directly controlling the outlet. Or even better you could just remove the load from the dimmer and wire the outlets hot all the time.

@gwydionjhr Just wondering if you got this working?

I haven't had a chance to re-wire the switch, but I'll get it done at some point this week and get back to you. Thanks for the help and suggestions. This one is all new territory for me.

What do you mean by "paired with the same security"?

ZWave has varying level of secure communications, and associations only work if both devices are at the same security level. You can check how they are paired in the Settings > Z-Wave Details page. Both devices must be exactly the same security.

Hmmm, I'm still using the original hub, I'm guessing this is a feature of the new C7.

Time to upgrade?

Your hub might only support "None" and possibly the "S0" security. I think that page should still show you what level it is at. Even if all your devices are at "None" then the associations will still work.

If you are not comfortable doing the associations, a rule would not be that difficult either.

Ok, 4 months later, all the reno work on the house is done, and it's time to get back to getting the Hubitat set up. The wiring has been fixed, I've migrated to the C-7, and I've got a simple rule turning the RGBGenie off/on from the switch. But it's not ideal, you have to wait quite a bit between taps on the switch if you want it to work properly.

Can you point me towards something that will help me learn about setting up an association?

Define "a while" an association will only be marginally faster than a rule typically. Actions on the hub should respond in less than 1 second. If there is a delay it might be a mesh slow down.

1 Like