Help with converting to smart light switches - see attached image!

I feel circumstance has been kind to me.... :slight_smile:

1 Like

My pet peve is that the kids leave the toilet lights on, and I haven't had the funds to get my sparky around for a day to install the half dozen aeotec nano modules I have sitting on my study desk.

So in the meantime the Toilets have Hue bulbs in them and I have an automation to turn them off after 15 mins. As a result, If I go into the toilet for #2's eg 13 mins after a kid has been in there, the darn lights will turn off on me, even if the little rascals actually turned them off when they finished. This is due to philips hue being too stupid to recognise a non-responsive bulb as an "off" bulb.

/rant

On the one hand I would suggest getting a sparky involved... if I had some more brain power available I would suggest an alternative... maybe tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have all the bits, but I'm paying off the wife's Car MBP* at the end of this month. :sob:

*Massive balloon Payment

1 Like

Ok. So letā€™s entertain the route where I put an Aeotec (or Shelleyā€¦but arenā€™t they Wi-Fi and therefore not much loved?) behind the panel and then purchase a Clipsal coverā€¦.

So for each of my existing panelsā€¦.what module would I need? Would they be different ones or all the same? As an example. I look at the Aeotec range and thereā€™s the dimmer module or the dual nano. The dual nano talks about supporting two switches. What does that mean - it supports my lights on two panels or it supports a single panel that has two switches on it? If the latter is the caseā€¦..what does that mean for my panels that have more than two switches on them? This is where I get confused! Itā€™s obvious once you knowā€¦..Iā€™m sure!

Totally hear what is being said around starting smallā€¦.just trying to get a sense of what Iā€™d need.

Yeah, I would avoid wifi stuff where possible. I like the Aeotec or Fibaro zwave Dimmers and switch modules myself.

As for what you need, it depends entirely on what you like. Say for arguments sake you want the modern look of Clipsal Iconic, you need the following per Switch:

Momentary Switch mech:

Custom icon Rocker covers (optional but high WAF):

Wall plate module:

Zwave dimmer or switch module:

The reason you want a "momentary switch mech" is they always spring back to their default state, as opposed to a normal rocker switch that shows 2 positions on/off.

This means if your light is turned on my automation, your OCD wont be triggered by a switch that is in the "off position".

Ok - great. So which module would I need? The dual nano or the normal nanoā€¦.I donā€™t understand the difference? And alsoā€¦..another dumb questionā€¦. on a panel where I have three switches for three banks of lightsā€¦.does that mean I need three modules stuffed in the back of the panel or will one module cover it? And where those lights can be triggered off two panels in different parts of the room/house - I still need a module in each panel?

it depends on what you need, if you want dimmer functions, you need 1 "nano dimmer" module per circuit, if you want just on/off, then you can use either a "nano switch" or a "dual nano switch" if you want to control 2 circuits from say a dual gang switch plate (they are more economical than 2 individual nano's).

Just be aware, the dual nano's are not available in dimmers.

1 Like

Btw, if you would like zigbee, there are Australian certified in wall modules now too and they are a bit cheaper than z-wave:

1 Like

I have the same installation,using "normal" switches, having Aeotec Nsno Switches behind. Works very reliable, is flexible and effective. You e. g. need only one Aeotec for a staircase circuit with multiple switches.

1 Like

I have this exact config too - moving an old 2-way switch circuit to use a single nano is child's play for a sparky.

Just a quick one regards the nano modules. do they require a neutral wire?

It can depend on the specific module, and the type of lighting load attached.