Help with ceiling fans and countertop ice maker

Can someone explain to me how I can add zigbee to a generic run of the mill fan. I originally was going to buy a Hampton bay fan with built in zigbee but they seem to be discontinued or just out of stock everywhere. A link to a device would be nice to do this. I'm having some sort of mental block on understanding how ceiling fans work.

Additionally, I was wondering how I could go about adding zigbee to the on /off function of a counter top ice maker like this. https://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-Countertop-Maker-Black-Stainless/dp/B07J1YVSNQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=FZR19ATD2QFE&keywords=countertop+ice+maker+machine&qid=1640985907&sprefix=Counyertop%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-9

Was thinking of popping it open and somehow installing one of these momentary switches https://www.amazon.com/MHCOZY-Adjustable-Selflock-Momentary-SmartThings/dp/B08X218VMR/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3FW055HPLAGDO&keywords=Zigbee+momentary+switch&qid=1640985996&sprefix=zigbee+momentary+switch%2Caps%2C159&sr=8-3
Does anybody have a simpler idea?

@jnosa899
You really want this... Red Series Fan and Light Switch | Z-Wave | Inovelli

1 Like

That will require some soldering, but does sound like a good approach. Since the module is Zigbee 3.0, it should work, but you might want to test it before you install it. You could also use the Shelly 1 or the Shelly Uni for this purpose.

Unless I’m missing something, for the ice maker just use a Zigbee outlet. Either a plug in or built in will work.

Does it have to be zigbee?

Outlet would power the ice maker, but it's natural state is off, so it needs a way to actually trigger the power button. I tried one of those switchbot bots but I didnt realize it's Bluetooth only... Figures

Yes, I only use Zigbee.

There really isn't anything except single switches for zigbee in fan controller. Innovelli has hands down the best fan controller out there that can retrofit pretty much any ceiling fan. (a module goes in the canopy). It is z-wave though.

What about using a switch bot?

For your fan question there are switches that are made for fan speed. I have one for zwave I would assume there is a zigbee out there too just be sure to get a fan one not a light dimmer.

You might have to install 2 switches one for light and one for fan as long as you have the correct wiring in your switch box. Or perhaps a retrofit receiver for your fan that would go in the fan itself. I am currently trying to work that out with my fan…

If you can't find a zigbee speed controller, any in-box switch device can be used to control the on-off state of the fan. Speed control would be manual through the pull chain or possibly the existing speed control.

I was personally thinking along the lines of a Shelly 2.5 attached to the fans speed capacitors. That would give you on/off/speed in one small package that would directly integrate into Hubitat. You could use either an Innovelli switch on smart bulb setting or a Lutron pico to handle things

Actually I did buy one of those. They do not work with Hubitat since their Bluetooth. Starting to feel like the smart home world is switching to Bluetooth after I've just invested a ton of money in zigbee.

Something as seemingly simple as controlling a fan is feeling outside of my capabilities with a hubitat. Wondering if I should just plug my HA NUC back in. I hated HA though as it seemed like something would break on a daily basis.

Fortunately HE supports not just zigbee,but also zwave, LAN, and cloud connected devices. Zigbee is my first choice as well, but where a zigbee device doesn't exist I'll look at all my options.

How would this help? Does it "do" bluetooth?

Actually I'm not sure, I would assume so, but even if it doesn't their are plenty of fans with full wifi control already built in. It's my understanding Hubitat can work with wifi devices, I wish just 1 single fan would work.

Bluetooth also doesn't have very much range

I didn't know that was a possibility, I'll check that out.

This is an interesting product; though it is a little expensive.

Yeah the price right now is too high. The price shot up at the end of November. Hopefully it will drop again in the future.

I have a few of them and they have been working well. When my C4 radio died I started migrating to the C7. Right now I have various switches and outlets on the Zibee mesh to work as repeaters for a bunch of motion sensors. I need some more of the outlets but am waiting for the price to go back down.

Sounds like a good setup.